Sick hen- help before I give up on her

Eckielady

Songster
Feb 12, 2017
East Tennessee
I have an Ameracauna hen who suddenly stared acting “off”. Hanging out in the coop and such. I noticed but didn’t see her enough to know something was wrong until I found her laying in the run with her wings kind of hanging. We brought her in and gave her some Tylan 60 and by morning she was much better but still not great. She stared drinking a ton and eating a little but now it’s been 3 days and nothing has changed. If we let her out she just goes to the coop and naps in a nesting box. I’ve got her separated but I need something else to try and we’re going to put her down.
Not much energy (could be from lack of food?)
Tail down
Bad diarrhea (could be from all the water)
And I almost think I keep picking up a “sweet” smell but it could be the food in our tiny house.
I’ve been doing Tylan 60 once a day orally.
Thoughts?
Thanks for any help.

Wanted to add- she hasn’t laid an egg since we brought her in. Could she be egg bound? Seems strange that she would head to a nesting box to sleep instead of the roost?! Also could explain diarrhea??

I see Coryza can smell sweet but she’s doesn’t have any of the signs of that. No swelling, sneezing or discharge. She does have a tiny bit
Of phlegm in her mouth off and on.

I’m thinking it’s not her that smells sweet. I don’t notice it on her when we’re holding her to medicate her. It’s either just the food being in a small space inside or possibly her poop. Her eyes are very alert now...just can’t seem to get her body to follow.

I have an Ameracauna hen who suddenly stared acting “off”. Hanging out in the coop and such. I noticed but didn’t see her enough to know something was wrong until I found her laying in the run with her wings kind of hanging. We brought her in and gave her some Tylan 60 and by morning she was much better but still not great. She stared drinking a ton and eating a little but now it’s been 3 days and nothing has changed. If we let her out she just goes to the coop and naps in a nesting box. I’ve got her separated but I need something else to try and we’re going to put her down.
Not much energy (could be from lack of food?)
Tail down
Bad diarrhea (could be from all the water)
And I almost think I keep picking up a “sweet” smell but it could be the food in our tiny house.
I’ve been doing Tylan 60 once a day orally.
Thoughts?
Thanks for any help.

Wanted to add- she hasn’t laid an egg since we brought her in. Could she be egg bound? Seems strange that she would head to a nesting box to sleep instead of the roost?! Also could explain diarrhea??
@Eggcessive ,@staceyj ,@Wyorp Rock ,@casportpony

I would feel of her crop and see if it is empty and flat, or full and puffy or hard? Also I would insert a finger into her vent an inch or so, and feel for a stuck egg (put on a disposable glove it you have one.) Do you have any pictures of her face? Does she have any sneezing or bubbles in her eyes? I will check back in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom