Sick Hen? Help Please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zoquiryi, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Zoquiryi

Zoquiryi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    One of my hens is very lethargic, and seems to be pooping out egg-like substances (the inside and yolk of the egg, not the shell) and dirrhea. She also has some poop stuck to her butt and tail. She hasn't been eating much, but today she drank water for almost 5 minutes straight. I picked her up to move her yesterday, and when I put her back down, she fell to the side and stumbled for a few seconds (and I put her down very carefully). She has been like this for two days now, with not much improvement. My flock has been recently attacked by a predator, and two chickens were killed. Is my hen sick, stressed, or could she have internal injuries from the predator attack (there's no external injuries)? Thanks for any help!

2. Zoquiryi

Jun 1, 2009
    Oh, and I forgot to say that I'm not sure of her age; she's probably about three years old though.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She probably has an ecoli infection from loose egg materials in her oviduct. If she's already falling-over weak, it may be too late, but you can try 3-4 days of penicillin injections. Most feedstores sell it along with the syringes. She's at the age when internal laying or ovarian infections can start up, too. I've lost about six to internal laying and/or ecoli infections like that. Saved a couple, too, with the penicillin.

4. Zoquiryi

Jun 1, 2009
    Okay, thanks! Should I isolate her from the other hens?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I don't think she needs to be isolated unless they are knocking her over. She'll be less stressed with her friends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by