Sick Hen... Help Please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by owly, Mar 2, 2015.

1. owly

owly Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    For the past two or three days, my Salmon Faverolles hen has been a little distant and lethargic. She was still dustbathing, eating, drinking, and her droppings looked normal, so I didn't think of it as anything serious. But this morning, her comb is pale and dry looking, she has lime and emerald green diarrhea, and doesn't seem interested in food or water. I separated her from the flock, gave her layer pellets and water even though she doesn't seem interested in it, and cleaned out whatever poop I could from the run to help keep other birds from catching it as minimal as possible.
    I've been reading online about it, but I'm getting different diagnoses and treatment options from each site, and I don't know what to do.
    What is this illness?
    Is it contagious? Lethal?
    What do I have to do to treat this?
    What do I have to do to prevent this from spreading?

I appreciate getting answers, I don't want something to happen to anyone in my flock.
    Thank you so much.

2. owly

owly Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    ~ Bump

3. Vermont Mary

Vermont Mary New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    Southern Vermont
    Hi Owly,

I am so sorry to hear about your girl. Raising chickens can be so hard when we don't know what to do.
    You have done the important thing by removing her from the flock. The best you can do is keep her warm and hydrated. Some bread soaked in warm milk may help her tummy. I have also used apple cider vinegar in her water with a pinch of jello powder to get mine interested. In about a quart of water use 1/4 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a pinch of jello powder ( not sugar free!).
    Many people say not to give your birds milk but I never had a problem and have used it with bread for sick birds often. The big thing is moderation.
    She may have a parasite like coccidiosis but your job right now is to get some fluids into her.

Good luck,
    Mary in Vermont
    Rising Feather Farm

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Do you hear any respiratory distress?

When was the last time you wormed your flock? When was the last time you ran Corid through their water? When was the last time you checked for mites/lice?

Has she been laying normally or has she stopped? How does her abdomen feel - hard or full and spongy? How old is she?

Neon green poops are a sign of malnourishment. If she's off food and water, you'll need to hydrate her as soon as possible. A chicken that's not drinking can die of dehydration before we have a chance to help her. You may have to tube her to keep her hydrated.

A pale come is usually a sign of circulatory issues or someone hormonal.

I would *guess* she's laying internally. That is caused by E. coli reversing in the reproductive system and causes an infection. Unfortunately, there's not really a way to treat this that I know of. Sorry I can't be of more help. :/

***IF*** it is peritonitis, be sure and keep their water SUPER clean. E. coli can spread very easily. The best prevention is to buy from a breeder that cares about the health and longevity of their birds.

[​IMG] I hope it's anything but EYP.

Edit to add: Please avoid feeding your chickens dairy (milk, yogurt, kefir, etc)... They are not mammals and lack the enzymes needed to digest milk products. :)

MrsB

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  5. owly

owly Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    Hi Mary,

thanks so much! I'll go out soon to do that. :) I heard of people feeding their birds yogurt when they have this problem, especially when it has acidophilus culture in it, which may help the bacteria in her digestive system "balance out". Do you think this is safe? I will most likely just feed her bread and milk like you said, alongside water with apple cider vinegar (I currently do not have jello powder, but will get some today or tomorrow).

6. owly

owly Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    Thank you for this! :) She is almost a year old and she's never been a very good layer. I do check for external parasites on an almost weekly basis, and I often check their droppings for anything abnormal. There are a select amount of birds in my flock who get blood tests each year, and I was recommended not to worm or give my birds medication unless absolutely necessary.

7. Vermont Mary

Vermont Mary New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    Southern Vermont
    Good girl !

I give mine yogurt in moderation and not often. When I have a sick bird, I always use yogurt with sugar in it. Please never use anything with artificial sweeteners, this could kill your birds. MrsB is of the school that milk products are bad for birds and she is correct about them not having the enzyme to break milk products down but I believe that , in moderation, milk is fine and beneficial.
    I do have one other question, how does her crop feel? Does it feel swishy ? I am trying to determine if she has a sour crop. Massage her crop using your full hand and see how it feels. It should be fairly empty if she hasn't been eating.

Mary.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

When was the last time you wormed your flock? Can you post a picture of how she stands when you are not bothering her? Is she drinking anything?

9. owly

owly Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    I am going to the coop now, I will feel between her pubic bones and her crop when I do. :) I have the apple cider water prepared and am currently cooking up an egg to mix with some wet bread to feed her. Thank you guys so much, I'll keep you updated on her condition.

10. owly

owly Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    I was recommended by a few poultry friends of mine to not use medication unless absolutely necessary, so I don't worm my flock. I currently cannot post an image, but she stands hunched over and puffed up, as if she's in the cold. I am offering water but she is not drinking anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by