Sick hen, Help! Tail down, lethargic, puffy

Skyla

Chirping
Aug 10, 2017
Northern Wisconsin
Hello,
One of my hens, a black austrolorp, has become sick. She stands in a single spot, puffed up, eyes closed, and has mild interest in food and water. I have also noticed that her tail is always pointed down. This has been going on for about a week, although she wasn't to bad to begin she is increasingly becoming worse. She has recently just come off of an almost month long brood, so she hasn't laid an egg since she became broody, and because she hasn't died in the last 2 days after showing symptoms I think we can rule egg bound out. Her legs are extremely week (I'm guessing because she sat on a nest for a few weeks) and has trouble walking, although she is able to get around (into the coop at night, to the food etc). I haven't seen her poop yet so I don't know if there is anything telling about it, but just by looking around I haven't seen any poops out of the ordinary. I'm not sure whats wrong with her, I'd really appreciate it if any of you have any ideas or suggestions. At the moment I plan on taking her in my garage to separate her from the other birds and supply her with some feed and electrolytes. I have had 2 chickens die recently that were otherwise healthy without explanation this year, one in march and the other in February, I am not sure if the deaths and the sick hen are connected. I also bought a coccidiosis treatment (as a preventative mostly) because my chickens live in an area where it is likely, should i give her that instead of the electrolytes? Thank you so much for any help!

If it's been warm and wet, coccidiosis is a good guess. It never hurts to treat for it, even if you aren't sure that's the issue.

She may be suffering from malnutrition, too, so giving her special feedings of boiled egg or tofu is a good idea. Also the electrolytes are a good idea.

The only consideration is vitamins. Hold off on that until she's had her Corid treatment. Be sure to treat the whole flock, and don't forget the second round of Corid in a week after the first one.

If it's been warm and wet, coccidiosis is a good guess. It never hurts to treat for it, even if you aren't sure that's the issue.

She may be suffering from malnutrition, too, so giving her special feedings of boiled egg or tofu is a good idea. Also the electrolytes are a good idea.

The only consideration is vitamins. Hold off on that until she's had her Corid treatment. Be sure to treat the whole flock, and don't forget the second round of Corid in a week after the first one.

Ok, I plan on switching out her electrolyte water for the Coccidiosis treatment today, although I haven't seen her drink any water yet, so hopefully she'll be able to get some in her system. I have heard boiled egg can help , do I give her the whole egg mashed up, whites and yolk? Thanks for your response!

Back
Top Bottom