sick hen help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joojy, Jun 21, 2016.

1. joojy

joojy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    bloomington indiana
    Hi,

I have a hen who is very dirty underneath, she is the only one. It looks like diarrhea. She eats fine and looks like she feels fine. She just looks a mess. We did have issues with mites, Could that be it?
    thanks

2. All Ball

All Ball Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2013
    El Sobrante, CA
    Is it poop-colored? Hopefully not egg yolk colored. You might want to search the site for vent gleet - that can cause drippy rear ends.That can be caused by a yeast infection or bacteria, according to what I found on here recently. Others may have better info for you.

3. joojy

joojy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    bloomington indiana
    thanks

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Any time there is runny poop, it may collect on the feathers. Some hens have a bit more trouble with this than others. Give her a wash, and make sure everything looks okay. Try some probiotics in the chickens's water or give a bit of plain yogurt with their food. In summer when flies are out poopy butts can cause maggot infestation around vents, and that can be dangerous. Vent gleet is usually a digestive infection, and causes red burned skin with whitish patches. This usually requires vet care with antifungal medicines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by