Sick Hen Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Melissa Rose1, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Melissa Rose1

Melissa Rose1 New Egg

Nov 10, 2016
    tey got out of the run yesterday and I think one had her fill of tomato leaves and green tomatoes. Now she is sick, lethargic, bloated, and puking water. I'm not taking her to the vet. Any advise for me to ease her pain. Should I keep her separate from the rest. They are not being nice to her...

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away... Premium Member

Keep her seperated from the rest of the flock to keep her stress-free.
    I found this on www.myfrugalhome.com
    "Tomato, pepper and eggplant leaves As members of the nightshade family, they contain Solanine, just like potatoes, so you should try to keep your chickens off your plants. They can, however, eat tomatoes, peppers and eggplants."
    And here is a link to a wiki page that describes what solanine does: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanine The scariest thing is that she is "vommiting", which is not natural for chickens; they physically can't vomit. I coulnd't find anything as far as treatment goes.
    Hope she gets better! [​IMG]

3. Melissa Rose1

Melissa Rose1 New Egg

Nov 10, 2016
    Thank you for your response. I'll keep you updated.

4. Melissa Rose1

Melissa Rose1 New Egg

Nov 10, 2016
    She Made it the night, two actually. And is going good.

5. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away... Premium Member

Good. If you can get ALOT of fluids in her to get that out of her system, she could make it!
    Hope are high!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by