Sick hen. HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bigwig, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    One of my speckled sussex hens is sick. She has poop on her behind and walks around with her wings drooping and head down. She also has a hard time keeping her balance and falls over if she bumped by another chicken or if she runs. She eats and drinks and exercises as much as the other chickens. One of my Rhode island red hens developed the same symptoms and died this morning.

Information would be greatly appreciated!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Were your chickens vaccinated for Mareks disease? How old is she? Is she having diarrhea? Just from the sound of drooping wings, loss of balance, and the neck down, I would suspect either Mareks or possibly botulism, from eating decayed animal or plant remains. In young chickens under 5 months old, they can get coccidiosis which can cause neurological symptoms. Typical symptoms are lethargy, puffing up or hunching, diarrhea, and not eating. Treatment is Corid or amprollium in the water. I would also recommend worming your chickens if you haven't. If you lose the sick hen, please send her refrigerated remains to the state vet for a necropsy to find the cause of death.

3. Bigwig

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    She was not vaccinated for Mareks disease. She is almost three years old. She is having mild diarrhea. As for eating decayed animal or plant remains she free ranges and has access to lots of plants but no animal remains. She often eat my dog's poop as a snack (yuck!). This morning her eyes were almost sealed shut with scabby material. She is eating well.

Hope this helps.

4. Bigwig

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    As of this morning one of her eyes is entirely open and the other is sealed shut.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by