Sick Hen??? Legs barely hold her up, bad balance, sits in corner or nesting box all day, sleepy!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Aquabubblez13, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Aquabubblez13

Aquabubblez13 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    I have a hen that is 3 years old (born in December 2011) and since about 3 days ago I started to notice that her legs aren't holding her up good and she just sits with her legs outward like she's doing the splits. She can still get up and walk somewhat, but she usually stops and gives balance. Like if she's eating from the food bowl, she waddles to it then just flops down and eats. Same with drinking. She has a good appetite and is eating well thankfully. Her poop looks normal as well. Except for when she's eating/drinking, she's always in the nesting box, in a corner or behind the bails of hay in the coop hiding... If I take her outside she gets up and heads for the coop. If she does stay in the yard, usually a rooster will run to her and breed her and just squash her since she is smaller. I have to sprint to her and knock the rooster off so she doesn't hurt her legs even more and get squashed. So I've been keeping her in the chicken coop with a few other pullets while the roosters and other hens free-range the yard. She seems a little lighter than I remember but that could just be cause she's weak, and isn't using her muscles... I took some pictures of her- do you know what her problem is? I didn't own her for her entire life, I just got her last fall. So I've had her almost a year.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I couldn't take a picture of her laying with her legs all weird, but she does it ALOT. Just my luck I couldn't snap a picture of her doing it... If I have my camera on me when she does it next I'll snap a few pictures! But as you can see her feet look rather gnarled up and crooked. Her feet have always been odd, and she always had a little waddle, but it is more pronounced now... Is she ok? Do you know what she has? Any recommendations? I have already put a piece of garlic clove in their water, cause I heard it is great for their immune system. Also, this morning I gave her a few sips of Polyvisol infants drops. It saved one of my young chicks a few months ago when she was sick- lethargic and weak. I hope that can fix this illness she has. But it may not???
    [​IMG]

Ask any questions and I can answer!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. CSisley

CSisley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I don't know what is wrong with your hen. The best I could suggest is what you've already done; separate her from the rooster, make sure she has easy access to food and water, and give her special "treats" to boost her immune system and chances at recovery. I would definately move this thread to Emergencies/Injuries/Diseases and Cures.

Oh and just out of curiousity, does she by chance hold her tail to one side? In the top picture it looks like it is pointing to one side but it just may be the angle of the shot.

3. Aquabubblez13

Aquabubblez13 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    No, I don't notice her holding her tail to the side??? Is that a sign?
    How do I change it to Emergencies/Injuries/Diseases and Cures???

4. CSisley

CSisley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I'm not sure how you would move it other than starting a new thread under Emergencies/Injuries/Diseases and Cures. I think moderators can move a thread for you but I'm really not sure. I don't know if the tail thing is a sign of anything. I was just curious because I had a hen that was suddenly sickly that held her tail to one side. She was different than you're hen though because she had lost a lot of weight. I never knew what was wrong with her. I thought she was getting better, eating and gaining weight and then all of the sudden she died. It was very strange.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by