Sick hen/lethargic/abnormal poo

louiseschwieker

Songster
Jul 6, 2016
I have a hen that is about 1 year old and she has bright yellow/watery poop with a rancid odor. Shes been inside for about 4 days. Its been really hot outside and she hasnt been laying well lately. She's lethargic and she has lost weight. A couple days ago her crop was full and earlier yesterday morning it was still full. We went to tsc and bought her a bag of grit and took away her food. She hasnt been hungry but she ate a couple small chunks of bread. She has had electrolyte water for a few days but it hasnt been seeming to help so we gave her regular tap water today and yesterday. Today her breath smells off/bad. Is this sour crop and impacted crop? And why is her poop the way it Is? Thank you for any info you can give me!!

Can you post some photos of her poop and what she looks like?

I'm sorry to hear she is not doing well:hugs

You mention that she hasn't been laying well lately - can you tell me more about this?
How does her abdomen feel - any noticeable bloat, swelling, feeling like it has fluid in it?

It does sound like she has a sour crop. Crop issues can be a symptom of an underlying condition like internal laying/reproductive disorders or cocci and worm overload.

Here's a very good article on treating sour crop - let us know how she is doing.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Her poops have been looking a little more normal. I saw some full pieces of grass in the last few. And her abdomen is squishy feels sort of like a water balloon with pudding in it I guess. I'm not sure that's normal considering a never really feel back there in my other chickens lol.

Day 2 of being inside with food (took out the next day)

Attachments

• d40d705b-48e3-4dea-b250-29edacbf7820.jpg
    d40d705b-48e3-4dea-b250-29edacbf7820.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 6
She's been preening today and she ate 2 small chunks of bread. I think that's progress in whatever is wrong with her

You mentioned she "hasn't been laying well lately" what does this mean? No eggs, soft shell/shell less eggs, wrinkled, etc.?
How old is she?

Abdomen feels squish like a water balloon? Does it feel like it has fluid in it - compare it to one of your other girls.

If you have a vet or even a state lab nearby, it would be a good idea to have a poop sample tested for Cocci, worm and bacterial infection.

Try to keep her hydrated - even with crop issues, they need a lot of water. Focus on getting the crop emptied and moving.

Since I've had her inside she's definitely not laid any eggs. Outside I'm not sure because we have chickens that lay the same colored eggs. I'll compare her to the others today

I had a Rhode Island hen that had the same problem last summer. I took her to the vet and began treating with Corid for coccidiosis. Fortunately, she pulled through. You really should consider getting her to a vet along with a poop sample. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom