Sick Hen, liquid Clear milky poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LoneCowboy, Sep 4, 2009.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Hi,

I have a sick bird. My beautiful blue orp. She's has clear liquid milky poo, lethargic, pale comb and waddles, hasn't laid an egg in 2 months. I've lost a few birds from this coop, most recently my beautiful son of Suede roo. Need some help. I have her isolated, in a pen gave her some Vet RX last night, has Antibiotic in her water, but I'm not supposed to give them to hens over 16 weeks and she is, but I didn't know what else to give her. Please help, I can't loose more girls. [​IMG]

2. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I guess there is some green in her poo too blobs. She's not eating.

3. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    She died [​IMG]

4. RuffledFeathers

RuffledFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Issaquah, WA
    I'm so sorry- at least she didn't suffer too long.
    You should get a necropsy and find out what is happening if you haven't any idea what is killing them. Most vets can do a basic and then they can send the body out to a state vet or an avian vet for testing.
    I had a hen with some similar issues and found out we have Marek's in the flock. Luckily it is not a horribly virulent strain and I have only lost 2 in 2 years, but I know that they have all been exposed and I am familiar with the symptoms now.
    It is best to find out if you can- so you should put her in a cooler with ice (not the freezer) until you find a vet that can help you.

5. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    What did they tell you to do?

I'm pretty sure I do have Marek's in the flock. I had a roo that got looking really ugly with a twisted neck and that's a symptom too.

How can I build up their resistance?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by