Sick Hen Mouth Breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aprhardy, Mar 13, 2011.

1. aprhardy

aprhardy Chirping

Dec 3, 2010
    Floyd Va
    I have read through the previous/past posts about breathing problems and grapeworms and such. However, none of them seem to fit the symptoms of this hen, unless I missed something. She is 2+ years old, hasn't laid an egg in the 2-3 weeks since I got them. She's a Columbian Wyanddotte, just noticed this evening she is having heavy mouth breathing, labored, and her comb and wattles seem a deep red almost purple. She actually let me catch her, with little to no resistance, which is not like her at all, she usually runs from me and rarely even comes around for treats. She has been free ranging and I noticed today that she seemed to lay around laying in the sun rather than foraging like the rest. I didn't think much of it since today was the first nice day we've had in like 2 weeks. Then this evening she wouldn't hardly move and she keeps closing her eyes when she breathes.
    Any idea's or suggestions? Is this something treatable or should she be culled? If she should be culled would it be safe to eat the meat? (I don't believe in killing an animal and wasting it, unless it is unusable due to disease. I also do not believe in allowing an animal to suffer in my care.)

I currently have her separated from the rest of the flock, which all seem fine, with some food and water in a carrier.

Please if you have any advice or have experienced this please share with me. I am new to keeping chickens and don't know what to do.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

so sorry you having to go through this I don't have an answer but will give you a bump in hopes someone else can help you. The purple comb and wattles makes me think maybe heart? no other symptoms? how about swelling around her vent or in her abdomen? she could have been having some problems when you got them and it's just no manifesting itself.

3. aprhardy

aprhardy Chirping

Dec 3, 2010
    Floyd Va
    Thank you for the bump, I am getting discouraged that I may loose this hen unless I can figure out what is wrong with her, I am also concerned about the rest of my flock. She has no other symptoms that I know of, I haven't noticed any swelling and she was fine yesterday, she's been one of the larger hens I got, and I haven't noticed her getting any bigger or seeming swollen. I emailed the man I purchased the hens from asking if any of his other birds were having this problem or if he had experienced it in the past with his flocks. However, I have not heard back from him yet. If I know what is wrong with her then I can get her some medications, hopefully. I have noticed all of them taking more time taking dirt baths and they have dug 2 large holes in the yard that they play in quiet often, but from what I understand this is normal and they only do it on the nice days like today. Is this a sign or symptom?
    Uggh I hope someone can help. I am thankful for your help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

dust baths are normal and they can make some pretty big holes. have you checked them for lice/mites? they can cause anemia if left un treated. also do you know if the man you got them from ever wormed them, parasites can make a chicken very sick and you don't have to see worms for them to have them.. heres 2 sites to look at that may help some. http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018html

http://healthybirds.umd.edu/disease/deworming%20Birds.pdf

http://wwwchat.allotment.org.uk/index.phptopic=17568.0 you can tell alot by a chickens poop

5. aprhardy

aprhardy Chirping

Dec 3, 2010
    Floyd Va
    Thanks for the links, but only the middle (2nd one about worms) worked. I got some wormer and broad spectrum antibiotics today. I'm gonna give them all a dose just in case it isn't just her. Hopefully it will help her too!

6. chickengrl

chickengrl Songster

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    We had a respiratory illness here awhile back and sometimes the purplish comb and labored mouth breathing was a part of that especially towards the end and they would die. If that were your issue, I would think you would have seen other symptoms like nasal drainage, sneezing, and other "cold" symptoms. Did you add this bird to your exisitng flock? Were you able to quarantine them and watch for illness before adding them? Just asking because that's how we probably brought the illness to our birds. You are on the right track with treatment it sounds like. I hope he gets better for you. [​IMG]

7. aprhardy

aprhardy Chirping

Dec 3, 2010
    Floyd Va
    Thank you for your reply! There hasn't been any other symptoms in her or any of the other chickens. I'm just a newbie at this chicken thing, and she was part of the first 7 hens, I previously had 3-4 roo's who are all penned up separate from the hens. All others seem fine, no discharge no sneezes, nothing. Today she seems better, I put a broad spectrum antibiotic in all of the waterers this evening just in case she does have something, and I got some wormer just in case that is the issue. I figured I'd hit em with the antibiotics first then in 2 weeks do the wormer. She has been separated from the flock, just in case she's the first one sick, which she has vocally protested all day today. Hoping this was just something simple that maybe she's getting over. She actually has some better color to her comb and wattles today and has been eating like a fat pig! Lol!
    Keeping my fingers crossed bc I'm about to be swamped in chicks here in 2 weeks!

8. aprhardy

aprhardy Chirping

Dec 3, 2010
    Floyd Va
    Just as an update: The hen is now back to normal, she has all her color back and even stopped the heavy labored mouth breathing. Not sure what caused this issue but whatever it seems to be has passed. She rejoined the flock today and seems very happy about that! Thank you for the advice and help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: