Sick Hen... Need Help... Pics Included

Keeperoflock

Songster
Mar 10, 2018
Central Indiana
I have a six-month-old leghorn pullet that is acting sick. She is lethargic but will walk a little bit but mostly just kind of stands in one place. When I put them out for their evening free range she wasn’t interested in eating grass which is very unusual for her. When she walks it looks like she's uncomfortable. Three or four days ago she was acting oddly and all fluffed up but look like she was straining so I went to pick her up and an egg without a shell and no yolk came out of her. She didn't lay an egg for a couple days after that which is odd because she lays every day without fail. Then I found another non-shelled egg intact with the membrane but had a lot of that sticky yolk colored liquid on it. Whether or not it came from her I don't know but I'm willing to say it did due to the yellow liquid.

About a week ago I had to put down one of my hens that was in a cage within the run. I kept woodchips in there for her and the ground was damp and smelly so I put some lime and DE down, covered it over leaving areas for air flow to dry it out. I don't THINK she could have gotten into any of it. The lime was AG lime so that shouldn't have hurt her anyways. Of course the DE is ok for her as well. The hen wasn't sick, she got injured.

I kept an eye on her and she seemed to be acting ok. Eating, drinking, pooping, being noisy and everything.

Today I got two normal white eggs. I had been only getting one since she started acting off. I have two leghorn’s and they are the only ones that lay white eggs in my flock. Can a leghorn lay 2 eggs in one day? If so then she hasn't laid in several days and the other one laid 2 eggs in one day. The normal eggs did not have the yellow liquid on them.

Tonight I wanted to see if she might be egg bound so I tried to feel her to see if I could feel one there but suddenly bright yellow orange liquid came squirting out of her. It honestly looks like egg yolk to me. The picture isn't very good, sorry but if you'll scroll down to the poop picture that's the color yellow that squirted out of her.

48152743-86EB-4215-914E-2D209C20DA09.jpeg

When I went to pick her up shortly after that I didn’t see it happen but my husband pointed out that there was another egg with no shell but did have a yolk laying on the ground in the grass. And it was right where she was at but I’m not sure that it actually came from her. She pooped just shortly after that and there was a slight amount of brown stool but more of the yoke colored liquid too.

B5132647-F438-4E44-A350-5823F883BC37.jpeg

I feed them dry 16% layer crumbles as well as wet mash from the crumbles. Fresh water every day. They get free-choice oyster shells and grit as well. For treats they get meal worms. A couple days ago I gave them plain yogurt and strawberry tops.

Here is what she looks like tonight. The one that's in the forefront is her.

A9A9C6AD-CFB9-4377-8E52-B9B6A167B9BD.jpeg

I have let her roost with the rest of them tonight but I’m not sure if I need to quarantine her into a kennel. If I do, she will stay in the run so the others can see her. I have not had good luck with separating one from the rest of the flock.

Do I need to flush her vent? Is that advisable? Does she need an antibiotic? I really don't know what to do...:confused:

Last edited:
I agree that looks like egg yolk and her reproductive system sounds to be on the fritz. Her crop looks pretty large in the photo, too. Can you check in the morning that it is emptying properly?
She could be ending her first laying cycle and heading into juvenile molt, but that may be unlikely. I recommend givi g her 400mg of calcium citrate for a few days. You can look up how to pill a chicken, or else crush it and mix it in a treat. I hope some others weigh in. Good luck!

Sounds like a "laying machine parts" issue...I am sorry.
The yellow poop could mean infection and antibiotics may help.
Is a vet an option?

gotta do with calcaum or genetics of egg laying i hate a female guinea hen who couldnt form shells at all

I agree that looks like egg yolk and her reproductive system sounds to be on the fritz. Her crop looks pretty large in the photo, too. Can you check in the morning that it is emptying properly?
She could be ending her first laying cycle and heading into juvenile molt, but that may be unlikely. I recommend givi g her 400mg of calcium citrate for a few days. You can look up how to pill a chicken, or else crush it and mix it in a treat. I hope some others weigh in. Good luck!

Yes, all of their crops look like that and I watch that they are much smaller in the mornings. The first time I noticed their crops I nearly panicked.

Regarding the calcium citrate... where can I find that? Is that the tums I keep reading about?

Back
Top Bottom