Sick hen, need help please!

Greeniis

Hatching
May 18, 2022
So...Pumpkin had a vet visit last week, coccidia and possible uterine inflammation, no fever and keep her isolated away from flock. Hen, 16 months old. I took her to the vet the next morning after I saw she was not walking, falling over, isolating and not eating/drinking, and crop was huge and mushy like a water ballon. The coccidia effected approx half of flock. For pumpkin, Vet said aspirin daily, tylosin for 5 days 1tsp/gal, corrid for 5 days 1tsp/gal. Did that. She was better after 2 days, continued treatment. On day 4 I noticed she passed what appears to be yolk on top of overnight poop for 2 days. Maybe this is what should be happening for uterine issue? On day 5 I read a blog that said corid should be 2tap/gal and her poop was still water with chunks. Thought maybe the tylosin is tearing her up bc the rest of flock (only on corid same strength) have recovered almost completely. Vet said corid for 2 more days at 1tsp/gal. But the corid company said 2tsp/gal so i did that instead. I also gave her syringes of probiotic water to help level the gut bacteria after tylosin. Day 1 of extended treatment, showed signs of improved poop, more form, less water. Day 2 of extended treatment she's a whole different chicken... laying constantly leaning right, she won't put pressure on left leg, using left wing to stabilize balance, won't eat or drink and panting, crop mushy again and swollen. I gave her cold probiotic water, 1 aspirin. My touch less thermometer says she's running 104 fever on feet, and 100.6 on her face. Upon inspecting leg, the foot looks a little swollen but she reacts when try to straighten it out with pressure. I don't know poop status today bc she hasn't pooped that I can tell which means she's not eating or drinking I'm sure. I cannot afford to take her to vet again unless it's necessary. They are our pets, not just livestock, but it was over $150 and I cant do that again unless necessary to save the whole flock of 13. The white debris on beak by nose is aspirin residue. Any advice is helpful please 💜

Attachments

• 20220518_193301.jpg
    20220518_193301.jpg
    909.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220518_193239.jpg
    20220518_193239.jpg
    640.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220518_193144.jpg
    20220518_193144.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 6
Sadly she died the next day. It would have been nice if someone read my angst and replied but I gave her as much care as I could and she still died. Thanks for being concerned.

Back
Top Bottom