sick hen-need help treating her: lethargic, not eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TNBluebird, Jul 13, 2010.

1. TNBluebird

TNBluebird Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    Smyrna, TN
    She is a batam, blue chochin. She is sleeping all day, eyes closed,pale comb, tucks head over shoulder, won't drink unless I dip her beak, isn't eating, diarrhea, no blood in stool but hasn't pooped in at least a day, She has been like this at least a couple of days that I've noticed. She doesn't have any injuries. I have quarantined her and given her some liquid vitamins. Didn't want to give any meds until I knew what would be the best thing. She doesn't have crusty eyes or sneezing so I don't think it is respiratory. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post!
    Jeannie

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

First thing I would do is look at some basic things.....check her over real good (under the wings and around the vent) for parasites. Then, I'm wondering how her weight is? If she's lost weight, that is sometimes caused by worms, and it's possible she could use a good worming.

Also, have you checked the vent area? Any signs of her being egg bound?

Sometimes we just never find out what is wrong with our chickens......it's really touch and go. See if you can get her to eat something yummy like yogurt or some chopped, boiled egg.

I would give her some antibiotics anyhow, it's possible she could have some type of infection. I would also add some vitamins/electrolites to her water, and maybe feed her some of that with a dropper.......

Good luck to you!

Sharon

3. TNBluebird

Oct 18, 2009
    Smyrna, TN
    I was wondering about worms. I don't think she has lost weight but then again I could just not notice that.What do I use for worming?

I did check her all over yesterday and noticed a few lice. Yuck! So today I'm going to get something for that. Any suggestions? Sevin? DE? I am newer at chicken keeping and learning how to PREVENT such things. Going to put DE in my coop. But for her would a Sevin dusting be a good start? The lice don't seem to be too bad. I didn't find tons of them, just a few here and there.

Her vent also seems fine. It doesn't appear to be closed up or anything.

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a hen that I'm having the same problems with... and doing all of the above as well as force feeding her with a syringe for the last 2 days... I wormed her 3 days ago with Ivermectin pour on (found @ farm supply stores for cattle worming)... internal and external pest control... for a bird her size, 2 drops from an eye dropper between her shoulders/neck area... must touch the skin or will not be absorbed.
    I will keep watching this post to see if anyone has any more ideas... good luck with your girl.

5. TNBluebird

Oct 18, 2009
    Smyrna, TN
    Ok-So I've given her electrolytes and a drinkable wormer for chickens-Wazine. The lady at TSC kinda gave me the evil eye when I suggested using the Ivermectin. She said I needed the Wazine. I was willing to use the Ivermectin as I figured a couple drops wouldn't be too much harm right? She thought I'd kill her not knowing how much to use of a cattle wormer. I've had to force feed her water as she isn't drinking or feeding on her own. What can I force feed her? Or should I wait until she will eat something on her own. She would touch the boiled egg I made for her. Maybe yogurt in a syringe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by