sick hen, newbie to sick hens

cooler04

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 23, 2014
Middle Tennessee
I have six backyard hens and live near nashville tn. 5 had finished molting but the 6th started late. Yesterday i noticed she was slow and this morning she was barely standing. It recently got below freezing at night so i thought i would bring her in this morning and she would be better tonight.
She haunches down most of the time and walks low to ground. But she can stand up and she even jumped while i was observing her, probably wanting out of the large dog kennel i have her in. She spilled her food and water all over of course, but she did eat some while i was watching. I put a different watering unit in but havent seen her drink.
I am not sure if a. She got cold per her under belly just has the feather shoots, b. She ate moldy food. C. Something else?.
I noticed a little blood in the kennel.
Any suggestions? The rest of the hens are fine...well i have an egg eater and a few bossy girls but thats less important.

Hi. sorry you have a struggling hen. sounds like you have done well so far by ruling out or in cold and bad food. Since you saw a speck of blood, I might treat for worms and coccidia as well. As long as she is warm, eating good food and drinking, I hope she recovers!

Was the blood in her droppings? Can you take a picture? Capillary worms can cause blood in droppings. Those can be treated with fenbendazole 1/4 ml per pound of weight orally for 5 days straight.

Last edited:
Howdy cooler04

I have not personally seen anything like that but I did some research. There is a thread with similar experiences which appear to be related to the moult:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...angely-any-idea-why-moulting-is-the-answer/20

Edited to add another one .. this also mentions walking funny during a moult:

http://forum.thepoultrysite.com/discussion/15936/redirect/p1
I was also stumped. Great link Teila! Great video Cooler. I see no evidence suggesting bullying or injury, just molt. Flock raiser, alfalfa leaves and meal worms are all great ways to up protein during the molt. Please keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom