1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Hen, No Idea What is Wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lularat, Oct 3, 2015.

1. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    I have a 2-1/2 year old sex link that started acting a little off a couple of days ago. She is eating very little, but still drinking. She isolates herself from the other hens and just stands with her eyes half shut. No respiratory symptoms, crop is soft and empty, no discharge or anything from her vent. Checked her vent and she is not egg bound. Poops are just watery, with no solid material. Her comb is a little pale and a little shriveled. Any idea? If she is not any better by Mon., I will try to find a vet with some poultry experience. Thanks.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    By the time we notice and they are distancing from the flock, they are quite ill. It is so frustrating not to see or feel something to give us guidance.

Make sure you have removed her to a "sick bay" away from the flock, preferably inside a garage or basement. Make sure she is drinking, and offer her soft foods - cooked/boiled egg, try mixing baby food - chicken or beef gravy with chicken feed - to see if she will or can eat. If she doesn't drink, you can try using a dropper.

You are quite lucky if you can locate a locate a vet who treats poultry. If the offices are still open, I would try calling them for advice. There are so many internal problems that just show us those same symptoms.

I had a similar episode with one of my hens recently and tried the epsom salt spa bath with success. May be coincidence, but she was immediately improved and began to eat and drink. And is now back to normal.

Hope she can recover.

3. lularat

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    She is very weak and not eating anything I offer her. Her name is Penny and she is such a sweet hen. We started tube feeding her today. There are no local vets open today or tomorrow. I found a vet in another town that does have experience with many kinds of farm animals as well as avian. They are not open until Mon., so if she isn't any better, I will call them and take her there.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Sounds like you are doing all you can. My Penny is the one who recovered from who knows what, and I hope your Penny does as well.

5. lularat

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Thank you Sunflour....hope my Penny does as well as yours. Oh, that's Penny in my avatar.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by