sick hen? no other symptoms?

chickenman101

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
North Carolina
hello all. a few days ago my hen started sneezing or it at least sounded like a sneeze. i took her away from the flock and put her in a small cage away from the others. ive been watching for other symptoms but nothing has appeared. she just continues to sneeze from time to time, but other than that she acts normal. she eats, drinks, and poops normal and she seems to feel really good. she cant stand being away from the rest of the family but i dont want to put her back in too soon. ive also been giving her a little apple cider vinegar in her water. any suggestion on what it could be and wether or not she' safe to go back to the flock? its been 4 days now any help will be appreciated!!! thanks!!

It could be Mycoplasma or a mild virus. I would put her on antibiotics...for the Mycoplasma & to ward off secondary infections if it's a virus. I wouldn't put her back with the others until she's better for a week or so...although if you did it would probably just run its course if it's not very virulent.

I don't know. If it's been 4 days and she's not worse, I would say that something else is causing the sneezing. If that's the only symptom-well I think an illness is going to have more than one symptom

You know, I had a chicken that used to sneeze quite frequently and I would worry but never separated her or anything. I just kept an eye out to see if she developed other symptoms or if any of my other chickens started sneezing. Nothing further ever developed and I had these chickens for a couple of years. That doesn't mean yours isn't sick; just telling you about my experience. Good luck!!!

Just in case you give her and your flock VETRX, Put a drop in there water, and a dab under ther wings, The bottle comes with instructions. And it is also good for coloring of the crown and wattles and legs. Good luck.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom