Sick hen not eating barely drinking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by k91, Apr 11, 2012.

1. k91

k91 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Grantville, PA
    Our 2 year old rhode island red has stopped eating and now is barely drinking. About 2 days ago it seemed like she was eating less than usual. Now she just sits and barely moves. It looks like she is having just white diarrhea. The tip of her comb isn't bright red like usual more purplish. Any ideas? Is it already too late?

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Check her thoroughly (especially the vent area) for lice or mites and treat if needed. If she doesn't have those, I'd worm her ASAP (preferably Valbazen - good broad-spectrum wormer). Any and all of these will slowly kill her if not taken care of and it does sound like she's well on her way down. Remember all of these treatments have to be re-done (is that a word?) again in 10 days!

3. k91

k91 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Grantville, PA
    I went to TSC before I saw your reply. I got some poultry drench and she seems to be perked up a lot. Hope thats all it is. I guess I should deworm her anyways to be safe. Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by