Sick Hen... Now dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenbarn-gal, Sep 24, 2010.

1. chickenbarn-gal

chickenbarn-gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I have a hen, she is so great. But these last few days she's been very sluggish. Just today, we we're looking at her, and here is what we saw :

1. Her Comb was down [​IMG]

2. Her comb and waddle looked very dehydrated and white. [​IMG]

3. She has a big sack of fluid on she chest. [​IMG]

4. Her eyes are greenish (Sick looking) [​IMG]

5. Her tale (feathers) are done and tucked between her legs [​IMG]

6. She will not move [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Leaking yellow (Fluid) [​IMG]

She is just plain all around SICK...

What should I do? I checked her "Passage ways" to make sure there wasn't anything stuck in there, and everything is good. Very open and nothing stuck.

Please, what should I do?????

If we don't do anything then I think she might pass away by tonight. PLEASE HELP ME!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Have you checked for lice and mites. I wish I could help you.
    Will she eat a little egg or drink any water? Can you bring he in to see how her pop is?

3. chickenbarn-gal

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:Yes, we did. Nothing. It looked clear. And no, she won't drink or eat. and what do you mean by "Can you bring he in to see how her pop is?"

We checked her skin, where her chest is there is that fluid ball. we checked around there also, and it is very clear.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  4. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    The fluid ball you refer to....could it be sour crop? She may also have impacted crop. If you search both here you will find plenty of help.
    I would start there.

5. chickenbarn-gal

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Oh okay, thanks

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, I think the best thing you can do is keep her warm, (unless it was hot out today and she may be suffering heat stroke) and put a bowl of water in front of her. And some yogurt mixed with chicken feed if you have it. If you think it might be heatstroke, wet her down with lukewarm water, dry her with papertowels, and bring her inside if it's cooler. If she's dehydrated, it might be heatstroke. 2 of mine suffered it this summer, one was revived.

Where is she leaking fluid? If it's from the mouth, I'd say I agree with sour crop.

7. chickenbarn-gal

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    no, it was coming out of her, Um, her egg bottom [​IMG]

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Sounds like some internal egg laying or an egg just broke inside her or she is egg bound which you can do something about.

9. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Oh, you checked her 'egg bottom'

10. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    It probably wouldn't hurt to treat her like an egg bound hen. Give her a long warm bath and get a little bit of crushed aspirin, calcium, and electrolytes in water down her with a dropper (no more than half a regular aspirin and half of your calcium supplements, a tad bit of gatorade mixed in water). I don't think you need to force the fluids down, usually a dropper dribbling the side of the beak and they will begin to sip it down, little bit at a time (I do this while they're in the bath). Let her stay in there at least a half hour (I use the kitchen sink......sssshhhh [​IMG]). It'll make her feel better. After a bath put her in a crate with a towel and keep her in a warm place for awhile. I put mine in the bathroom with a little space heater and close the door. Not too hot, just so she doesn't get chilled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by