Sick Hen...on her way "out" ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MontanaMomma, Dec 14, 2010.

1. MontanaMomma

MontanaMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    I have a 1 1/2 year old Leghorn hen who has not been moving around much for the past two days, puffed up and her comb is mottled dark red and purple. Her skin all over seems very red. She feels light, so I'll assume is not eating very good. Its been below zero here, but they have a heat lamp on them all day with plenty of water and pellets and occasional sunflower seeds. They aren't going out much in the snow but are getting fresh air and access to day light. She stands on one foot with eyes closed all puffed up. ): She also does not smell very good. Her crop is empty and nothing unusual in the nest box.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    just make sure she is warm-maybe bring her inside.if she is thin she can't warm herself like the others even with a heat light.i don't know what to suggest but i am sure someone else will have an idea.
    good luck with her.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    If she's got a purplish color, she may be having a bit of a respiratory problem. I'm sure some antibiotics wouldn't hurt!

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Why don't you post a picture?

5. MontanaMomma

MontanaMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    thanks for all the help. I was sure she wouldn't make it through the night. But she spent a night in the house getting yummy treats and water and she was good as new the next day. She is fine now! Whew! mm

6. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    What a great surprise. I am so happy for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by