Sick Hen passing yolk/soft egg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smallflock3, Aug 23, 2010.

1. smallflock3

smallflock3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    I have a 16 month old golden comet that had a prolapsed oviduct (that went back in by itself) 3 weeks ago. I took her to the Vet the next week and they checked her over and said she was fine. Now she is passing what looks like a mixture of mostly yolk but no shell. I checked to see if any broken shells were in her and found none. I feed her Purina Layena and a small amount of vegetables from the garden (lettuce, tomato, squash). She has not stopped eating but stays on the perch in the same spot and when let out to free range comes back to the coop early and is very quiet. She closes her eyes often and occasionally shakes her head seeming lethargic. She is not herself as she has always been the curious one that hops up on my deck railing and peers through the kitchen window at me. She has not done this for some time. I know that heat can also work against them and it has been hot here but we have done the best we can to keep our birds cool. Has anyone had a similar experience with their hen(s)? I have been reading different posts out there and some say give them more calcium and some say antibiotics too. I really need to help this bird.

2. tryxichicks

tryxichicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Sounds like she needs antibiotics. When my hen was "eggbound" it ended up being because of an infection. She had that same poop. Get some antibiotics from any bird vet usually baytril 22.7 for two weeks give it orally you have to hold them and have someone else pop the pill in her mouth...sounds harder than it is. A tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with water in a separate waterer never hurts either. I wish you luck...it's always stressful seeing a hen sick.

3. smallflock3

smallflock3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    Thanks so much for the reply. I had asked my Vet about antibiotics before I posted this and she was not keen on giving her any as she said her hens laid soft shell eggs all the time. The only difference is my bird was sick! They said they could x-ray her to see if an egg was stuck in her but other than that she really didn't know what else to do. This hen is small and used to lay very large eggs. They had good hard shells but the ends of the eggs were always wrinkled. I read an article in a poultry book on eggs and it said this could be caused by a virus. So I just don't know. She started to fill better and was acting like her old self but then yesterday she slowed down and passed some milky foamy liquid. It seems like it happens on the weekends when the Vets are not open. Its a ping pong thing where I guess I'm going to have to catch her and rush her to the Vet the next time she is showing signs and passing yolk. I wish I could get hold of some antibiotics comparable to the baytril. I feel helpless because I can't seem to make her stay well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by