1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SICK HEN....Pictures of poo..PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovin my girls, Mar 27, 2011.

1. lovin my girls

lovin my girls Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2009
    Hi,

My 2 year old hen has been sick for 2 days. She is pooping what looks to be egg yolk and greenish type poo. She is walking around a little, but kinda puffed up. I saw her drinking some water yesterday. She has been sleeping in the nesting box for the past 2 nights.

Here is a picture of her poo: The white in the poo is hard...I "felt" it with a stick and it was hard

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/jonewee/Picture700.jpg

Any thoughts?

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.
    Cathy

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It looks to me like internal laying or egg pariotisis (sp) which neither is good. it happens when egg production and it's internal parts start to go wrong for some reason, often seen in heavy breed layers.
    Sometimes shots of antibiotics help, if she is retaining fluid in the rear ( bottom looks like a balloon) then draining the fluid often helps but often has to be done a few times. I will let someone with better understanding explain... I have had 2 chickens have it and I lost one shortly after and the other with treatment lived another year. Some others have had better or worse situations. Best Wishes for your girl..

3. lovin my girls

May 28, 2009
    Thanks for your reply. I was thinking it could be egg pariotisis. I feel so bad for her. She did get up on the roost with the other girls tonight.

Sure hard having a sick girl.

4. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

How is she?

5. lovin my girls

May 28, 2009
    Quote:Hi...thanks for asking about our girl.

She is still hanging on. She is actually doing a little better than when I first posted. No eggs from her since I posted, so I know that's not a good sign. Her poopy is still has some yellow in it, so I'm really worried it's an internal laying problem.

She does appear to be "fuller" all over her body. I'm guessing she is retaining fluid.

How long can a hen last with an internal laying problem?

Thanks for any help.

6. lovin my girls

May 28, 2009
    bumping this up.

Thanks!!

7. brusternme

brusternme Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    Ihave an ISA Brown doing the same thing! She just kind of hangs around. She is eating and drinking and also has laid 2 very tiny eggs. Her poo looks the same as your girls, so I am thinking she is laying internally like yours...any thoughts anyone?

8. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I am not sure why the difference, but some live for a couple of years, while others have trouble with infection and don't live long.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by