Sick Hen (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by STP12986, Nov 11, 2014.

1. STP12986

STP12986 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2014
    I have read quite a bit on here but as I am a new chicken owner, I still really don't know what is wrong and could use some help.

Ok...

I worked past dark all last week and was not able to observe my flock of 6 hens all last week...I don't know if my hen showed any signs of sickness prior to Sunday. I did let the chickens free range on Saturday, and did not notice anything, but may have not looked closely...Well on Sunday I noticed a Leghorn just laying in the yard. I realized that she had a very pale, floppy comb. I picked her up and she has always been small but seemed to weigh nothing...I tried to offer her some feed which she ate a little, but not much and just wandered around away from the flock, moving slowly. I had to leave the house, and came back after dark and she had made it in the coop to the lowest roost pole.

Monday Morning, left for work early just as the chickens were getting up. The hen just laid in the coop, I don't know if she ate or drank all day, and when I got home after dark, she was up on the highest roost in between her sisters, so I thought this was positive. Well after reading on here I knew that I needed to isolate her.

This morning, Tuesday, I put her in a large plastic tote in the garage with pine shavings and food and water...I offered her yogurt, which she ate 1 bite, then refused. I figured at the very least she could rest more peacefully. When I got home this afternoon, early, it didn't look as if she ate or drank at all...I offered more water, got her to drink a tiny bit, then put her in the backyard with her sisters to see how she would do. I made her a scrambled egg, which she ate just a couple bites, then layed down almost falling asleep sitting up... Then I had to leave to take my dog to the vet and wasn't able to return till after dark.

When I went to see if she made it in the coop, she had not, and was laying on the ground outside the coop asleep...I got her and put her in the tote in the garage for the night, offered her water (with apple cider vinegar), just held the dish up to her beak, and she actually drank more than I have seen her drink in 2 days, but still no food.

Then she all of a sudden, stood up, puffed up really big, I left her alone for 5 mins, went back to check on her and offer her more water, and she was asleep standing up so I have left her alone.

-Today I looked at her vent, and it seemed to look ok?
    -I felt for an egg, and I'm not sure if I could feel and egg or not...
    -She seems to be breathing fine, no wheezing.
    -I have never wormed my chickens
    -All the others are perfectly fine
    -They were eating some food that I think was old, it smelled bad,

so I switched to fresh (Countryside Organics) food.

Here is a picture of her with the eggs and her poop from today (she pooped twice (green) that I know of today and both looked the same).
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Any help would be very appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Having a little trouble getting my computer to enlarge that pic but it looks like there may be tape worm segments in her poop. I would deworm everybody with Valbazen, do a repeat in 10 days and possibly a third treatment 10 days after that. Tapes can be hard to get rid of. Dose is 1/2 cc per standard size bird. Valbazen will also take care of any other worms she may have. There's other things that could be going on with her but given her symptoms and what her poop looks like that is where I'd start and see if she perks up.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's always hard to diagnose what may be wrong with them in cases like this, since it could be so many things. She has a few symptoms that sound like coccidiosis, and perhaps worms. Can she walk okay now, or is she too weak? I had a hen with similar symptoms of lethargy, weight loss, inactivity, and droppings, who died in 2 days. When I did a necropsy she had a blocked gizzard from of all things, sunflower shells. I would be tempted to give her electrolytes and vitamins tonight, then start Corid tomorrow in case of coccidiosis, since it will do no harm. I would also worm her with Valbazen as previously suggested.

4. STP12986

May 2, 2014
    Thanks for the input guys...

I looked closer at the chicken stool in person and though in the pictures it does look like worm segments, its not.

The chicken was still alive this morning (still in the bin in the garage), but it took physically shaking (gently) her a few times before she woke up. For a second I thought she was gone...

She was able to stand up...I don't know how she can as she seems so weak.

As of yesterday, she could make it up stairs on the porch, and when I threw crushed egg shells in the yard, she did her best to get over to them with the other chickens, but once she got there, she didn't seem interested in actually trying to get any.

I tried to get her to drink again this morning, and she did a tiny bit, but not much, I also made her oatmeal, that she didn't seem interested in...so I left it for her, so maybe once she wakes up a bit more she will nibble on it.

Unfortunately, I work during the days, and cannot check on here until I get home, I feel bad about it, but its just the way it is...

I will try to get some corid on the way home and try that. But not sure how I will get her to take it since she wont eat anything...

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If possible I would get the liquid, although many stores only carry the powder, and it will be in the cattle section. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. With the liquid you can give her a couple of undiluted drops orally with a dropper or syringe. If your feed store doesn't have Valbazen cattle wormer, you can get SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer, and give her 1/2 to 1 ml of that orally. The horse paste also would work (SafeGuard or Panacur.) Repeat it in 10 days. It sounds like you may need to tube or crop feed her, but that is up to you. If she doesn't make it, I would do a necropsy to check her crop, gizzard, and intestines. It sounds harsh, but it helps to know what the problem was.

6. STP12986

May 2, 2014
    Thank you for the advice. I would like to know what happened, even if she doesn't make it, because its all a learning process.

7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Any indication of crop issues,impact or sour? Any swelling of abdomen? Is she walking funny? Any discoloration of comb?

8. STP12986

May 2, 2014
    I wish I had a chicken expert her to examine her and to help me figure it out...I just don't have the know how to properly diagnose her. I can make guesses, but I don't have the money for trial and error with different meds...I also don't have an extra pair of hands to help me force feed her and I tried to do it by myself and she fought me to the point where I didn't know if I was doing more harm than good... I am surprised she is still alive and able to stand/walk a bit as she has not eaten or drank hardly anything (other than the little bit I have been able to get her to drink) in almost 3 days...I don't know when to call it quits and humanely put her down..

Is there any chance she can overcome it on her own without my intervention? All she does is sleep all day...I don't want her to have a slow death, but feel bad not giving her every chance that i'm able to.

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    First check her crop to rule out crop issues. Is crop hard or does it feel squishy(almost like a water balloon). Does crop empty overnight or is it full all the time,or is crop empty all the time? Feel abdomen,does it feel swollen and squishy or hard,compare to other hen so you can feel the difference? Can she walk,is comb discolored(taking on a blue tinge on ends)?

10. STP12986

May 2, 2014
    Crop seems empty to me...empty all the time. I felt compared to my healthy birds that had a full crop. Comb is just pale, no other discoloration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by