Sick hen please help I think she is dying

frenchhazel

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
Cadillac, MI
I have a sexlink and she has been acting weird for two weeks now. At first I thought the heat was getteing to her. Now her wattles are turning greyish purplish and she gasps for air. She comes out of the pen but stays away from the other chickens. She walks very slowly and stops to rest. Her abdominal feels very firm when I pick her up. None of the other chickens are sick or acting like this. What should I do. She looks like she is suffering and I have no clue what to do or where to begin. Can someone please help.
hit.gif

'm no help here at all since I'm new, but..I'm so sorry your poor chicken isn't feeling well
sad.png
I do hope she pulls through!

My girl is still around today. Her abdomine is hard and her poo that is stuck to her feathers is white. She just lays in the coop on the floor now. Her combs lay lifeless and are gray. I did notice to I was feeling on her neck cause it looked all sunken in and it is I can actually feel my fingers touch. I don't know what to do. I hurt seeing her like this but don't have the courage or heart to cull her. Is there anyone else that can help. I am sure someone else has had this problem. Is it internal lay, is it constipation, what. I do not see any bugs on her. Someone help!!! My chickens are my pets as I know they are to 99% of this board. I don't have a vet. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
i'm very sorry about your hen. Honestly, not sure there is anything anyone here can do. It could be any number of things. Her comb turning dark means she is not getting enough oxygen. It could be internal laying, or perhaps a heart problem, or even cancer. i have had two hens with cancer, only finding out after a necropsy was performed. You really need to get her into a vet, if at all possible. If there is not a chicken vet nearby, your town should have an avian vet. If you don't have the resources for a vet, it sounds like the most humane thing to do is cull. i've never done it myself, so understand it may be difficult for you. Perhaps the local SPCA or Animal Control could humanely euthanize her for you?

i'm so sorry. i know this is heartbreaking for you.

hugs.gif

Please look for posts by Cynthia regarding her birds- she gave shots of penicillin directly into the abdomen and got some recovery. It's worth a try, and I know it's what I'd try if I couldn't get a vet to help.

Her main thread is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=195347 though I know she's had comments on other threads.

Best of luck- I'll say a prayer for you both.

Back
Top Bottom