1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Hen-Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken995, Mar 20, 2012.

1. chicken995

chicken995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Hello all, I've got a California White that appears to be in poor health. She has not laid an egg in about a week and half. I just attributed it to a molting. But today I noticed that her white feathers under her vent were very dirty, as if she has had some very wet droppings. She doesn't appear to have a prolapse, but I don't know exactly what that looks like. I picked her up to check it out and she is very bony and light. She appears to be in decent health otherwise, eating and drinking, but her weight and lack of egg production scares me. Any guesses? I have a local vet that will see chickens, should I take her?

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    If she has a prolapsed vent I am sure you would notice it - basically her insides would be hanging out somewhat.

She may have issues with worms, lice, mites or a multitude of other problems - my advice would be to get a Vet to check her out - meanwhile you can easily check to see if she has lice or mites - lift her wings and look under them and also the vent area to see if anything is crawling onher skin or attached to the shaft of the feathers.

No doubt more experienced people here can give you some ideas - good luck!

Suzie

3. chicken995

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Okay, definitely no prolapse. I'll go check for mites. Non of my other hens are having this problem at this time.

4. chicken995

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    No mites that I could see. Vent is still light pink, so I do not suspect an infection.

5. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    my guess would be mites or lice. for those i would put some DE damascus earth around their favorite dusting spots so they can dust in it.

6. chicken995

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Thanks for the advice. I don't know what I was thinking earlier, saying I couldn't see them. Of course I can't! They are too tiny for my crappy eyesight. Anything else to use? I've heard the DE is kind of slow. Any suggestions on an anti-lice/mite powder?

7. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    I bet TSC has something, they always have stuff to treat this type of thing

8. chicken995

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    So do you all think I should try to treat this at home, or go to a vet? She is quite skinny, but she is still active, eating, and drinking, bright red comb.

9. tadpole98

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    The vet is quite expensive, and if you could treat her at home, that would be more affordable. The vet does not always give you what you need, and will just take your cash, but at home, you can be sure of what your are giving her. If it were me, i would treat her at home, until she stops eating, drinking, or being active.

10. chicken995

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    That sounds good to me. I'll keep a close eye on her this week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by