SICK HEN , PLEASE HELP! :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenman786, Dec 1, 2013.

1. chickenman786

chickenman786 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2013
    One of my hens (7 months of age) has been acting really weird over the past 2 hours. She was totally fine in the morning , laid an egg was running about, scratching etc but later on in the day she just stood in one place , without making any noises. She looked as if she tried pooing but could release anything. I went to pick her up and she was absolutely still. I then put her back in the run and discovered an egg yolk and white on the floor with out a shell as if someone cracked an egg. Her poo looked green and foamy after wards. please see the pic.. Could this indicate any disease ? If yes then how can i treat it ?

2. chickenman786

Sep 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. chickenman786

Sep 10, 2013
    One of my hens (7 months of age) has been acting really weird over the past 2 hours. She was totally fine in the morning , laid an egg was running about, scratching etc but later on in the day she just stood in one place , without making any noises. She looked as if she tried pooing but could release anything. I went to pick her up and she was absolutely still. I then put her back in the run and discovered an egg yolk and white on the floor with out a shell as if someone cracked an egg. Her poo looked green and foamy after wards. please see the pic.. Could this indicate any disease ? If yes then how can i treat it ?

4. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have tried to search BYC lists, all I found is that it is a oily foaming poop, I saw someone posts it is a kind of diarrhea and is cause by too warm environment,
    So I replied just to put this post on top of the list and hope some expert sees it and reply

5. chickenman786

Sep 10, 2013
    Thanks & apart from the poo , do you think she might be sick ? Finding egg yolk and egg white on the floor really freaked me out!

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That poop is not normal and could be the sign of an infection. Can you take her to a vet? If that poop came from one of my turkeys or peafowl I would treat for blackhead with metronidazole and Safeguard and I'd probably also treat for e. Coli with Baytril or Clavamox.

Blackhead (histomoniasis) is not as common in chickens, but it seems there have been a few people with it this year.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  7. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

This sounds like shortage of vitamins in diet

10. Shell less eggs. A shell less consists of a yolk, albumen and membrane, but has no shell at all. The egg contents are protected by the outer membrane only. These are often seen in pullets coming into lay. Causes are:

- Immature shell gland (young layer);

- Nutritional deficiency, usually lack of calcium and vitamins E, B12 and D as well as phosphorous and selenium;

- Certain diseases, such as Newcastle disease, infectious bronchitis, avian influenza, egg drop syndrome;

- Exposure to very high temperatures and extremely high or low humidity levels;

- An infestation of internal or external parasites, such as worms, mites or lice;

- Stress prompting the hen to lay an egg prematurely, before the shell is formed;

- Egg laying while molting;

- Exposure to toxins, such as mold, fungi, bacteria.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You can get metronidazole powder from Petsmart, it's sold as a fish medicine called API General Cure. It's also sold as Fish-Zole (250mg tablets) and Meditrich (100mg tablets), but you would have to order those.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

9. chickenman786

Sep 10, 2013
    Thanks for the reply kathy. Are there any homemade remidies or cures that i could feed my hen?

Do you think she has parasites ?

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would look at her vent to see if she has any remnants of the egg membrane sticking out of her vent. It may have been eaten by another chicken, but having a shell less egg once is not cause for alarm. I might put her in a pen with food and water, and watch her next couple of poops to see if they are the same color. Maybe call your vet tomorrow to see about bringing in a stool sample for testing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by