Sick hen - possible egg bound or blockage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 7cluckers, May 8, 2011.

1. 7cluckers

7cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    I have an 11 month old hen who, while she has never been a good layer, has now stopped laying altogether and seems very uncomfortable. Last week I soaked her in warm water and was able to help her lay an egg that was very "cracked" looking, like it had been there for a while. She seemed relieved and went back to the coop, eating and scratching normally. I have been watching her closely and yesterday she started acting mopey and was sitting in the corner. This morning I soaked her in warm water again for about 45 min and tried to massage her abdomen. Her bottom is very poopy and all that came out was more poop and some blood (the first time I have seen this). I have not been able to get an egg out although it feels like there is something there. I know the blood is not good. Any suggestions as to what I can do? Help!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Bump.

3. 7cluckers

Jul 15, 2010
    Update : I have separated her from the other hens inside. She was eating a little but for the last hour has been hunched in the corner of the cage with her eyes closed. A few minutes ago, she released a large, smelly, bloody poop. Now she is sitting in the corner. It's not looking good - any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I am sorry. I just don't know anything you can do for her other than keep her as comfortable as possible. You could try to get her to eat yogurt or cottage cheese. Usually it seems egg issues stem from either genetic problems (nothing you can do) or calcium/absorption issues (feed calcium rich foods/crumble tums in water). Good luck with her.

5. 7cluckers

Jul 15, 2010
    Sadly, our sweet Pumpkin passed away in her sleep last night. Hopefully she is in a better place We will miss her.

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I am so sorry. It is tough.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    So sorry for your loss. I kind of suspected she was going to pass which is why I bumped you, but didn't offer any advice. Poor girl. At least she is beyond suffering.

RIP Pumpkin.

8. 7cluckers

Jul 15, 2010
    Thank you to everyone for your advice and kind words. This is such a great forum with such helpful, caring people! This was our first loss (we got our chickens a year ago) and I have learned so much here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by