Sick hen, possible heart attack. **PLEASE HELP**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TNchickies, Apr 1, 2015.

1. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    I was out watching the chickens and feeding them some grass (no herbicides/pesticides used) when all of the sudden my only Americana hen flopped over onto her side. She weakly got back up a few seconds later, wings and tail drooping, and was pecked at by one of the other hens. She VERY slowly walked over to the coop entrance, and while doing so fell forward several times and occasionally stopped to sit down and rest. When she finally got to the coop, she tried to jump up into it, but just kinda did a floppy jump and then fell over. I went in and carefully picked her up, and took her away from the rest. I examined her, and i couldn't find a single thing wrong with her. No broken bones or blood in sight. She walked around a little bit, very slowly, with wings hitting the ground and tail drooping (as if she was unable to lift it). There was a predator attack last night whereby i lost a RIR (it was taken) and another RIR was injured on the neck (just feathers missing and a small cut). I don't know if this has something to do with it.

My americana was absolutely fine this morning and even laid an egg yesterday (hasn't laid one today). As i was carrying her to the house, she vomited a bunch of a clear/yellowish liquid onto my boot. Right now i have her in the front yard with a wire cover to make sure she doesn't wonder (if she even could). She just lays there and occasionally drinks from a small water bowl. Her head keeps shaking (vibrating.)

I think that this may have been a small heart attack, but I don't know for sure. I can't find anything to make this theory a fact, but i can't find any evidence to deny it. If you can help, please do.

Thanks. <3

2. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    She's shaking really bad. I've been giving her water and she's been eating little bits of her food. Hopefully she'll make it. I'll be keeping her in the garage tonight and under supervision.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by