sick hen. Questions answered-UPDATE, hen still alive

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by libbyhan, Nov 1, 2010.

1. libbyhan

libbyhan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    -We lost a bird last week. We free range in the afternoons and she didn't come home. Neighbors lost 2 cats- we assume coyote for all three. VERY limited free range since then. Came home today and let the chickens out to roam and one was trailing the pack and was clearly not right. She's in a cage now. Her gait is lumbering almost, she's all puffed out like a beach ball. She was unable to walk straight and would fall to one side- sticking her wing out to balance. Her comb is nice and red. She's been laying for about 4 weeks. Food is nutrena, scratch, boss, table scraps (no meat or dairy).

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Partridge rock hen, 6 months, female, unknown/normal

2) What is the behavior, exactly. bird's wings are dropped on both sides. Her tail appears dropped over her butt. Fluffed out, hunkered down appearance. Looks like a big puff ball with her head pulled in a bit. She's got a lumbering gait and is considerably slowed down. Just rolled out of a nest box in the cage. Very unstable. Update- she is no longer able to walk or stand

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 3 days- sudden onset on Monday

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no- still no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no- still no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. nothing

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Was following the flock and picking in the grass. Is not eating in the cage.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Solid, manure like on Monday. Last night-loose smelly runny poop

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? nothing- removed from flock, electrolytes and vitamins

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I will go to a vet for meds and have one that will dispense.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. got nothing

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    pine shavings. Grassy yard- 60 by 90 feet with 6 other chickens. Coop is raised 4X7, chickens free range when we are home. We live in Massachusetts. No new chickens in 3 months.

We'll cage her and give her some electrolytes in her water. Will offer yogurt and eggs, I guess. It's a wait a see, I suppose.

Would love any ideas.

UPDATE: I updated some answers above. The chicken is not eating at all. Seems to be opening her mouth to intake breath now. I picked her up last night to check for poop and feel for an internal egg. When I squeezed her abdomen, liquid poop came pouring out. It smelled horrible. From the vitamins maybe? No egg felt. Still not eating, but she is drinking when forced. We are too afraid to cull her (I'm a total chicken and can't do the deed). I just wish that she'd either get better or die, the poor thing.

She's warm and calm. Her comb is still bright. She's drinking a lilttle. Although she ate yogurt and cottage cheese Monday, she's not eaten anything since Monday night.

We insepcted her vent and it looked normal.

What should we do?

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I wish I knew what to tell you. I'm sorry for what you're going through. I'm hoping someone else can give answers, but I'm suspecting it might be too late.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

How is your hen doing now? I just saw your post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by