Sick hen- Respiratory illness???

Or is this from cocci? Because I just got done treating them for that and I just saw a post about cocci and the pictures they had look very similar to mine..

To me it looks like very skinny poop with intestinal lining and is *not* normal. Have you wormed her yet?

-Kathy

No I haven't. I was going to wait until I get a better wormer because I thought she had capillary worms but now I'm not sure if I should worm them right away or wait until Wednesday...

Definitely treat them all. Take one that is sick to get checked out. I had a hen die of coccoidosis and round worms. We treated them all for it. Antibiotics and dewormer given. You can tell when they are sick of their tail feathers do not stay perked up and seem to sleep more. Coccoidosis can be contracted through the ground. I have some starter feed mixed in with my layer because one they are molting and two it is medicated to help prevent coccoidosis. It will sneak up fast at least with our hen so Lee a close eye. Sorry you lost your hen. If you have another sick you need to treat them ASAP so you don't lose whole flock. I almost did

I got rooster booster. That was all I could find to treat for worms. They didn't have any liquid wormer, so I have to treat with the feed, which I'm not overly happy for as I prefer to just mix it in their water, but....so yeah.

I skip the wariness and go straight to safeguard. I get the paste for horses and put pensive amounting their mouths. While you could use the goat drench, for a sick bird the paste is immediate and you don't have to wait for them to drink the water

I skip the wariness and go straight to safeguard. I get the paste for horses and put pensive amounting their mouths. While you could use the goat drench, for a sick bird the paste is immediate and you don't have to wait for them to drink the water

Liquid or paste, both should be given orally. IMO, best amount to give is 0.23ml per pound for five days. That dose will treat large roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms, capillary worms and possibly some species of tapeworms.

Did you know that a pea size amount of paste has only 25mg fenbendazole in it? One pea sized blob is equal to 1/4 cc of the liquid.

-Kathy

Thank you Kathy. My vet told me pea size amount once. I think based on your calculation I will do pea size amount 3 days in a row. One advantage to the paste is you know they consumed it.

Back
Top Bottom