Sick hen?? She is acting weird....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AlliChicks, Jan 31, 2012.

1. AlliChicks

AlliChicks New Egg

Jan 31, 2012
    Hi,
    I am very new to chickens (I got my FIRST EVER chicks in March) and I am not quite sure what is going on with her or what to do.
    Honey is a Golden Sebright pullet, about 9 months old, and yesterday afternoon I noticed her tucking her tail, it was actually dragging on the ground. She was walking around very slowly, like she had to lay BUT she laid the day before and she doesn't lay every day. Then, she laid down in the run, with her feathers all fluffed. She was sort of breathing hard and she closed her eyes, when another hen flew up into the coop she jerked and opened her eyes, looked around, then shut them again. She didn't lay. After a while she got up and stood, looking kind of shaky on her feet, but then she ran to the other side of the pen to eat some grass.
    When I closed them up for the night she looked fine and was roosting with the others. This morning she was in the nest box, she got out when I lifted the lid and went to get a drink. She is still not acting right though. She was easy to catch when normally she runs away (she is lowest on the pecking order). I opened the door and she just stood in the doorway and didn't go out. I locked her in the coop so she will be easy to get to. I have seen her eat and she perked up when I held grass out to her..... I don't know what I should do!! Part of the time she acts pretty much normal but the she does little things that get me worried that she is sick.
    Thanks!

2. AlliChicks

AlliChicks New Egg

Jan 31, 2012
    Sorry about that.....Honey is doing great!! I checked on her after about an hour and there was a giant egg in the nest box (giant for her).
    I will keep a close eye on her just in case the egg wasn't what was making her act weird. I am so relived [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by