Sick hen still need to be quarantined?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chris10sen, Jan 6, 2011.

1. chris10sen

chris10sen Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    So my 6 month old 8 lbs? Australorp started to exhibit cold like symptoms 10 days ago. She had a goose like squawk and she was sneezing. She is kept in my coop with 4 other girls who weren't showing any signs of illness. Well I removed Betty last Wednesday and put her in my garage in a dog crate. She still appeared bright and alert. She was eating, drinking, pooping and laying eggs as normal. But since I didn't know what she had I didn't want to risk losing all my girls. I put her on duramycin 10 in her water. Well Betty is still in the garage just finished up her antibiotics. She isn't any worse. Actually she seems quite mad at me. I know she is bored and isolated. But she still has a funny squawk and every once in awhile she sneezes. The other girls still are all normal. So what do I do now? How long do I keep her isolated? She still is eating, drinking and pooping and laying eggs. I hate to keep her so lonely but I don't want the other girls getting sick. I wouldn't think she is still contagious but what do I know. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I do live in MN so cold is an issue. I have pine shavings and straw in the coop and sand in the run. I keep an watchful eye on the humidity and it has never been over 65%. There has never been any smell as well. I hope the drafts are at a minimum.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Seems to me whatever she had/has, the others have already been exposed to. They were all together when she got sick, right?

3. chris10sen

chris10sen Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    Yes they have been together since June when they came in the mail at 3 days old!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have a pen inside my coop so I can separate a broody or whatever if needed, without completely removing them from the flock. I wouldn't have separated her more than this, myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by