Sick Hen unsure on diagnosis - Poo Pic

PNWChickens

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 5, 2014
Hello all BYC, I am a long time lurker first time poster.

I have a 1.5 year old Wheaton Marans who I found in the chicken run after all the other girls had roosted for the night. she was unable to walk or stand up and appeared weak but alert. I picked her up assuming she just didn't make it into the coop, but quickly realized she wasn't well. I moved her while I was getting indoor accommodations set up and she gave me her the next clue to her ill health.She left pooped out a yellow and very green liquidy poo. I've looked across other poo pics and can't find anyone that looks similar.

Pertinent facts: She is 1.5 years old, It appears she is part way through a molt. we just got out of a cold snap. (mid 20'sF at night). She is under weight.She cannot stand to walk and uses her wings to balance herself. Her comb appears normal. I have not seen her eat, she has tried to peck at some grain and quickly lost interest. She has not been vaccinated against anything. She might have had access to a rhododendron but I don't think that is the issue. she can control her head and neck, her legs seem to really weak.

What I have attempted: I moved her in last night and tube fed her some liquefied chicken food (about 8cc's) and some eloctrolyte/rehydration fluid. (about 10 cc's). She seemed to perk up after feeding/drinking. however this morning when I checked on her she was back to the original state.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello all BYC, I am a long time lurker first time poster.

I have a 1.5 year old Wheaton Marans who I found in the chicken run after all the other girls had roosted for the night. she was unable to walk or stand up and appeared weak but alert. I picked her up assuming she just didn't make it into the coop, but quickly realized she wasn't well. I moved her while I was getting indoor accommodations set up and she gave me her the next clue to her ill health.She left pooped out a yellow and very green liquidy poo. I've looked across other poo pics and can't find anyone that looks similar.

Pertinent facts: She is 1.5 years old, It appears she is part way through a molt. we just got out of a cold snap. (mid 20'sF at night). She is under weight.She cannot stand to walk and uses her wings to balance herself. Her comb appears normal. I have not seen her eat, she has tried to peck at some grain and quickly lost interest. She has not been vaccinated against anything. She might have had access to a rhododendron but I don't think that is the issue. she can control her head and neck, her legs seem to really weak.

What I have attempted: I moved her in last night and tube fed her some liquefied chicken food (about 8cc's) and some eloctrolyte/rehydration fluid. (about 10 cc's). She seemed to perk up after feeding/drinking. however this morning when I checked on her she was back to the original state.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Try to get 30-60ml of *just* Gatorade or Pedialyte, maybe with a little corn syrup. Wait 60 miutes and repeat, then tube fluids mixed with baby bird food once the seconond batch of fluid starts to go down. That color combo says to me that she is dehydrated and hasn't eaten. Of course it could be that color for other reasons, too, but you need to tube fluids, them fluids and food. You also need to keep her in a room that 80-85 degrees.

When was she wormed last with something like Safeguard or Valbazen? How much does she weigh? Does she have mites/lice? When did she lay last?

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy. I checked her over fairly well for mites and didn't find any. She last laid about a month ago. I didn't feel any lumps or inflammation in her abdomen. Just the opposite. She seems like she is really underweight. When I get a chance I will weigh her. She has not been treated for worms.

Thanks Kathy. I checked her over fairly well for mites and didn't find any. She last laid about a month ago. I didn't feel any lumps or inflammation in her abdomen. Just the opposite. She seems like she is really underweight. When I get a chance I will weigh her. She has not been treated for worms.
Forgot to say that the fluids need to be warmed. FWIW, I'm about to treat a a small hen right now. She weighs about 750 grams and will get about 50ml of warmed Gatorade.

-Kathy

My girl weighs 1.78kg. I have been giving her 40 cc's of liquid food. And 18cc's of probiotic,electrolyte vitamin solution every 8 hours or so. She is showing signs of improvement but still cannot walk more than 4-5 steps and sleeps most of the day.

Update - My girl started eating on her own last night. This is the first time she has shown interest in food. She is eating voraciously. However she is still only walking a few steps and acts like she has two left feet. She can't stand well and doesn't have great balance. The good news is she is continuing to show signs of improvement.

Back
Top Bottom