Sick hen, vent leaking ammonia smell

xtinedodge

Chirping
Mar 14, 2019
Has anyone had the experience of an incredibly strong ammonia smell coming from a hen? She started having crackly breathing I could hear when I held my head to her chest a few months ago. She's been sick on and off and treated throughout many months with Doxycycline, a de-wormer and corid. She still eats in small bits and drinks water, gets excited for treats but is low energy and less mobile. For the last couple of weeks she has pooped nearly constantly, a very thin, watery liquid. It smells like urine to me, but the most concentrated pee smell I have ever experienced. I've given her baths, cleaned up her rear over and over but it's kind of just sticking with her because of the frequency. I'm at a loss and hoping she's not suffering terribly. <3

The more info you provide the better chance someone can give you useful advice...

How old is the hen? Where are you located? What do you normally feed?

You say she is less mobile. Is that just because she is weak/tired? Or does she have swelling in her belly area making it difficult to walk? Or...?

Can you post some photos of your girl and her vent and poop?

The more info you provide the better chance someone can give you useful advice...

How old is the hen? Where are you located? What do you normally feed?

You say she is less mobile. Is that just because she is weak/tired? Or does she have swelling in her belly area making it difficult to walk? Or...?

Can you post some photos of your girl and her vent and poop?
@xtinedodge having similar issue with my hen but I am thinking she has water belly. Abdomen is distended and seems to be full of fluid. Red vent area, loss of feathers, waddling. She has had this for a few months but this morning seems to be a bit sluggish. Still eating small bits. Her crop is also very squishy..

Back
Top Bottom