Sick hen - Vent swollen, yellow poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LadyShred, Mar 28, 2009.

1. LadyShred

LadyShred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Alabama
    My hen has been sick for about a week. At first I thought she might have had worms, but Wazine is not helping. Her vent has been a little swollen from day 1, but now it is insanely large and has turned sideways somewhat. It's difficult for her to poop and she cries a little when she has to use the bathroom. There is yellow oozing from her vent and her poo is liquidy and white-ish and there is some blood.

She is not lethargic, just not as active. She still grooms herself and eats somewhat and drinks. I tried giving her plain yogurt, but she HATES it and doesn't want it.

She is about 10 months old - not sure if she's layed and eggs yet. I'm not sure if that will be the problem, but I'm very worried. I don't want to lose her.

I am willing to take her to the vet today, but I wanted to see if I could get some help fro here first.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've never had one myself, but it sounds like possibly egg bound or an internal layer, or perhaps a broken egg inside.

Hopefully someone with more experience with these will chime in.

Let us know what the vet says if you take her.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Since it's been this long, I would get her to the vet pronto as planned. I hope she will be alright. They can get through much, with the right treatment soon enough. Please keep us posted.
    JJ

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would soak her bum in warm water to clean her up. Start a round of antibiotics. Can you feel an egg in there? You can also lube up a gloved finger and feel around in her vent for an egg or a broken one.
    Good luck.

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    If not an egg problem, It may be a case of cocsidia. Try some sulfer based antibiotics or as a vet to do a pop swab and check for it.
    Watery foam, and off colored diareaha are the main signs, as well as bleeding.
    Hopefully it's not this, but it is a possiblity from the discription
    Aubrey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by