Sick hen vomiting bile when I tilt her...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spatulagirl, Dec 10, 2012.

1. spatulagirl

spatulagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    I have a hen that has been looking a little subdued for the past few days and yesterday when I let the chickens out she got knocked over in the rush to exit the coop. When she looked a little dazed I pulled her out and she is in a kennel in the garage. She was eating and drinking yesterday.

This morning when I checked on her she seemed really cold. I am going to bring her into the house but what concerns me the most is when I picked her up to dip her beak in water she vomited bile.

Right now it is leaking out of her mouth and she does not look good. She is my one of two Wheaten Ameraucana hens and I would love to save her!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. spatulagirl

spatulagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Never mind. She just died a few minutes after I posted this and read more on impacted crops. I guess I know what to look for now. Her crop with puffy and filled with fluid. She just got bad really fast.

Or could it have still been something else?

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss...

When the dying process starts, the body stops digesting and the crop remains full and they start to vomit. But you're right, it could also be an impacted crop or and impaction/blockage further down. If you really want to know, you could send her off for a necropsy. In CA, they're free for residents and they'll even let you use their FedEx account number. I don't know about WV, but I do know that MD has an affordable fee for out of state birds.

You could also try to do it yourself.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by