Sick Hen Vomiting? Huge, Soft Crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Astrid, May 11, 2010.

1. Astrid

Astrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    Yesterday we found one of our 11 month old Amerucaunas dead under the roost. Now today, another one of the 11 month olds is looking very poorly. I picked her up and sort of inverted her to look at her vent and a whole lot of cloudy/clear liquid just poured out of her beak! Her crop feels BIG, spread across her chest, and full of liquid with just a few grain kernels in it. I've isolated her in a dog cage and will try her on some scrambled egg, but what could be causing this? Can I do anything? I'm very afraid of losing the last five, which include 3 older Barred Rock and Buff hens.

Please--- any help would be most appreciated!

Astrid

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Sounds like impacted crop, when it gets blocked like that it also makes the crop sour because all the food gets spoiled in there. You can try massaging the crop after giving her some bread soaked in veg oil. When mine got it, I had to operate on her, and she made it.

3. Astrid

Dec 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    Really? But it doesn't feel like there's anything really solid in there; just liquid. Could it still be impacted?

4. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    yes, but I would withhold food overnight and see if the crop is still large in the morning. If it is still just as large it's probably impacted.

5. Astrid

Dec 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    Should I feed her nothing? I've got her isolated in a dog crate in the coop; maybe I should massage her crop to see if any more will come up? Would that help? I'm very worried about her! We found one of her "sisters" dead under the roost yesterday; no warning, no trauma, nothing. Just dead when we came home from work. It's so upsetting!

astrid

6. ipana

ipana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    I've just read your post from several days ago so I hope the info is timely. Your bird is not impacted or it would be hard. It sounds more like sour crop. Here is a link to my experiences so maybe this will help. It is important to keep the bird nourished. Otherwise, death will come quickly. If you need more help, PM me. I'd be glad to share all that I know.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4143690#p4143690

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by