1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Hen? White in Feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hunter44, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Hunter44

Hunter44 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2013
    Lately I've noticed white in the feathers of my hen around her head. There's no white in the feathers on the rest of her body, just around her head and neck. She's been acting normal otherwise. Here's a picture; let me know if there's anything wrong with her please! [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have a Black Australorp hen that has also grown white feathers or black feathers with white tips. However hers always grow near her tail. She has been like this for 2 adult molts. She is not ill in anyway. My personal opinion is that some sort of past genetic feathering is for some reason, trying to become dominant??

Although if there is a more technical answer for this, of if this is indeed a sign of illness, I would surely like to know! [​IMG]

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The white on those feathers just looks like feather sheathes that haven't come off yet. When a feather grows in, it is encased in a white sheath. Usually, these feather sheathes come off on their own, though it may take a few weeks.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2 I would suspect that she is molting or just regrowing some feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by