Sick Hen with diarrhea - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bandit, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Bandit

Bandit Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Utah
    I have a black sex link hen, Cookie, who has been my best egg layer but suddenly stopped laying eggs and is just hanging around. She doesn't have the energy to jump up onto the roost in the coop, just sits on the shavings. She will eat if it's a special treat like rice or bread, but doesn't seem to eat the regular food. She will drink if you put her in front of the water. She stays in the coop for a while before coming out, unlike the rest of the girls. It's been about 5 days of her feeling sick. I felt to see if I thought she was egg bound but don't feel anything. She has watery diarrhea. Today I started giving her (and everyone else) oxytetracycline in the water and know she has drunk some. Any advice? The other girls are feeling fine and laying eggs like normal. And if the other ones drink that medicated water, should I not eat the eggs for a while? If not, how long? Advice would be welcome.

2. Bandit

Sep 16, 2009
    Utah
    Anyone?

3. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Has she been wormed? Have you checked for lice and mites? These seem to be the most basic and easiest things to think about when you have a chicken just seem "off". Many folks suggest a routine worming schedule from 2-4 times per year depending on climate. Dusting them around the same time with poultry dust/sevin powder can help take care of external parasites. That has to be repeated 7-10 days later to catch the new ones from eggs hatching. Also, treat the coop. I hope this helps. [​IMG]

4. Bandit

Sep 16, 2009
    Utah
    No, I haven't wormed any of them recently. I will have to do that. I haven't seen evidence of lice or mites but I will look closer.

Thanks for your suggestions.

5. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Valbazen kills all known internal parasites in chickens. All the others can be a bit hit and miss on some species of worms. I never can remember the dose. I haven't tried it yet. Just type it into the search box and it should pop up. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by