1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Hen with Pale Comb and Runny Stool

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thehappynunu, Jun 18, 2013.

1. thehappynunu

thehappynunu Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2012
    I came home from a 10 day vacation (I'm not sure how long this illness has been going on) to see my New Hampshire hen looking a little off. She still goes out with the others, but she lays down a lot and isn't her usual bossy annoying self. When she walks she has her normal posture. She just looks 'off'. Her comb is very pale and I saw her poop a very watery poop this morning. Her crop feels a little squishier than my other girls this morning as well. Any ideas on what it is and how I should treat it? I'm going to separate her later today if I can find somewhere to put her so I can monitor her food/water intake.

Also, she is still laying.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Could she have sour crop?

3. thehappynunu

thehappynunu Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2012
    I was thinking that too, but she doesn't seem to be acting like my last hen who had that....gosh I hope it isn't sour crop again!

4. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    If she were mine I would start by de-worming her with Fenbendazole 10% (Safegaurd or Panacur, liquid or paste) 50mg/kg by mouth and repeat in ten days. I would also dust her for mites/lice.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by