1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick hen yellow face. Desperate for any advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by celticgems, Jan 21, 2016.

1. celticgems

celticgems New Egg

Jan 21, 2016
    I could really use your expertise as my little hen is losing her battle.
    She is a rescued ex-battery hen so I am not sure how old she is. All of my hens free range. It started about a week ago when she was reluctant to come out of her house and became very lethargic. I seperated her from the flock and brought her inside. Then I noticed bright lime green liquid poops; at this point she was still eating and drinking. I gave her vitamins and some scrambled egg and added ACV to her water. She then went off her food but continued to drink (a little excessively). Two days ago her skin started turning yellow. Her comb is cold and scaby too. I immediately thought possible kidney/liver failure but I have very limited knowledge of this. Her crop has not emptied and is possibly sour. It feels swollen and squishy. I have been tube feeding natural probiotic yogurt and started giving her baytril. I have massaged the crop but I am reluctant to tilt her for fear of her aspirating. She no longer look as yellow as she did but her eyes are dull and seems to be very poorly. Please advise if you can. This adorable hen is tame and we nursed her back to health when she was extremely sick, when first rescued. She loves to be petted and is so very friendly. I'd really appreciate any help or advice. I'm concerned that I may be providing inappropriate treatment. Could olive/fish oil be a good option or epsom salts? I just don't know what else to do.
    Thank you in advance

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  2. Apocha14

Apocha14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
    i don't have too much knowledge but I'm pretty sure olive oil is ok for sour crop. It sounds as if you're doing all the right things, yellow would definitely say kidney/liver to me.

3. celticgems

celticgems New Egg

Jan 21, 2016
    Thank you so much for your reply. I'd be willing to try anything else that would help. I don't really know anything about kidney/liver failure or how (or if it is possible) to treat.

4. Apocha14

Apocha14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Liver failure is maybe possible? Also, if you google yellowing skin in chickens, there is a thread on here from 2010 talking about skin pigmentation and how it can change

5. celticgems

celticgems New Egg

Jan 21, 2016
    I've looked at lots of threads and see that thrush treatment (monistat) is a possible option. I wonder if anyone has any experience of this. I have just sent DH to the pharmacy to get some. We are based in rural Ireland and its called cannesten here. I gave her some olive oil this morning and massaged her crop. Lots of gurgling noices. Still reluctant to vomit her. Could canesten be an answer for this little one?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! If you tube 60ml of just water, does it clear her crop?

-Kathy

7. celticgems

celticgems New Egg

Jan 21, 2016

Hi Kathy, thank you so very much for your reply. No her crop does not clear. It is large and squishy. She is off her food and water; not passing anything now. Any advice you have on this would be greatly appreciated. Gemma

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I've only ever vomited one, and it scared me to death doing it. Mine was a turkey with an intestinal bacterial infection, which was causing her to eat tons of mud.

Are you giving he baytril orally or by injection?

-Kathy

9. celticgems

celticgems New Egg

Jan 21, 2016

I have been giving it to her orally for the last week, however considering stopping as it does not seem to be helping. I gave her a third of a canesten/monistat earlier today. Desperate to help this little hen. We rescued her a few months ago and have become very fond of this friendly girl.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

More than 5 days of baytril can cause yeast infections, so treating her for that might be a good idea. Can you get any Nystatin, ketoconazole or fluconazole?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by