1. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Hi,

My 7-year-old Eater Egger hen, Biddy, is sick and I think is in pain. She has not laid in about 18 months. Her abdomen is large and very hard at the back. I'm pretty sure she's either got cancer or began laying internally awhile back, and it's coming to a critical point now.

My question is, is there anything I can do to help her be more comfortable until the end, or is it better to just put her down? She's still eating and drinking and seems interested in what's going on.

She holds her tail down most of the time, and has trouble walking now. It's pitiful. [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your diagnosis sounds very possible. If her belly is tight like a drum, she may have ascites or fluid in the abdomen. An 18 gauge needle inserted just under the skin in her belly might help to withdraw fluid to ease her breathing and reduce pain. The fluid should look yellow or amber colored. Cancer is also very common. I would put her down if she is really uncomfortable, and if she doesn't have ascites and fluid isn't the problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by