1. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I've got a sick new Hampshire red hen, she is somewhat lethargic, when she walks she has a stagger to her gait, and she holds her tail almost straight down it makes her looks somewhat like a runner duck standing totally vertical. Her eyes are bright and she eats and drinks. Her comb is still red. She is not egg bound that I can feel, this has been going on for a good week and a half.

Last week Monday I was working out of town and I told the wife to giver a shot of penicillin and see what happened, she did and it seemed she perked back up so I told her to continue it for a few days she only gave her one more dose then stopped and after a couple days she was back in poor shape again.

When I got home this weekend I picked her up and realized she has no breast meat at all anymore she's wasted away badly. I've given the penicillin again and gave her some ivomec diluted in water. She's now separated from the flock and I'm trying to feed her scrambled eggs and stuff to see if I can get weight back on her but she still staggering and walking strange.

Any idea what's wrong with her? I usually don't go to much trouble with a sick chicken but this one kind of the pet of the whole flock so I'd like to bring her around if I can

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do some research on egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying which are common illnesses in hens. It can cause pain , problems in laying, lack of appetite, problems walking or waddling, and many other signs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by