Sick Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JacquiR, Oct 3, 2016.

1. JacquiR

JacquiR New Egg

Jul 15, 2015
    One of my barred rock hens suddenly just sat down yesterday, she is listless, wont eat or drink and one eye is shut. We have separated her from the other chickens. There are no signs of mite or anything on her. She is easy to get hold of and just sits there. Can anyone help please. I have tried giving her some water with organic apple cider vinegar but dont think she is drinking or eating anything.

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you provide some additional information - it may help in trying to determine what might be going on. Is the hen new to your flock or have you added any new chickens? Any discharge from eyes or nostrils, any odors?

3. JacquiR

JacquiR New Egg

Jul 15, 2015
    Not added, she has been with us about two years. No odours, cant see any discharge from eyes or nostrils. We had a barred rock mum and her chicks and I dont know if she is the original mum or one of the chicks

4. Britras

Britras Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2015
    Egg bound maybe? Very gently feel on her lower abdomen and see if maybe there is an egg don't squeeze if there is an egg u don't wanna break it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by