1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LydiaT, Jan 1, 2017.

1. LydiaT

LydiaT Just Hatched

Jan 1, 2017
    Australia
    [​IMG]

Hi, my chicken seems to be unwell. She has been lethargic with a small appetite for a while. She has a swollen abdomen and she twitches her head however she is still able to walk around. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is this a different chicken than the other one you posted about with problems walking? Her appetite loss and swollen abdomen can be signs of ascites, or internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. They may have many different symptoms that can vary. Is her lower belly full and tight, as if it is full of fluid? Has she been laying eggs? Can you try to get her eating by offering some chopped egg or tuna, some wet chicken feed, and a bit of plain yogurt for probiotics? A vet may help to diagnose internal laying, but many times we don't know for sure without a necropsy after death.

2 people like this.
  3. Nancy112

Nancy112 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2016
    Ok if I'm right, you have no hope. Is she losing feathers in the crop area and has diarrhea?

4. LydiaT

LydiaT Just Hatched

Jan 1, 2017
    Australia
    This is a different chicken to the one that is having trouble walking. Her belly is full and tight but it has been worse, it seems to change. She had some yoghurt yesterday, she still eats, just in small amounts. She is an older chicken and hasn't been laying eggs for a while. She isn't loosing feathers around her crop and I'm not sure about her droppings. Could she just be getting old?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Ascites is when fluid collects in the belly from several possible problems, such as heart failure, liver disease, and sometimes in egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying. There are several threads about ascites and internal laying/egg yolk peritonitis on BYC if you do a search in the box at the top of this page. A vet may be of help, or you could try inserting a 20 gauge needle just under the skin in the belly to occasionally withdraw fluid to relieve pressure if that is her problem. I would recommend reading as much as you can before attempting this. Many of the conditions described can be more common in hens over 2 years old. Some symptoms can include loss of appetite, walking like a penguin or sitting a great deal, labored breathing, and sometimes, walking more upright .

6. LydiaT

LydiaT Just Hatched

Jan 1, 2017
    Australia
    Oh ok, I'll have a read. Thanks for your help [​IMG]

7. LydiaT

LydiaT Just Hatched

Jan 1, 2017
    Australia
    Update: she seemed to go back to normal for a while but now she is acting quite strange. She is sitting down twitching her Neck and beak repeatedly and staring into nothing like she doesn't know where she is. She has diarrhea which is off white with bits of green in it, some of which is stuck to her feathers. She can't walk properly and seems off balance. She doesn't eat or drink, I honestly have no idea what to do.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that she is worse again, but that can be common in egg yolk peritonitis or other reproductive problems. Try to get her to drink some water with vitamins and electrolytes. Feed her some chopped egg with plain yogurt, along with her usual feed. Try to keep her comfortable, but if she is appearing in pain, I would think about putting her down.

9. LydiaT

LydiaT Just Hatched

Jan 1, 2017
    Australia
    thanks for the reply, we've been feeding her bird rearing mix by syringe because she won't eat, she just twitches, but I'll mix some yoghurt and egg yolk into the mix. I'll get some electrolytes into her too.

10. LydiaT

LydiaT Just Hatched

Jan 1, 2017
    Australia
    shes going down hill, I think her legs are becoming paralysed and she looks like she is having trouble holding up her neak. It's a shame, she's such a lovely chicken [​IMG] I can't afford to go to a vet, im not sure what to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by