Sick hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jennn27, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Jennn27

Jennn27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    UPDATE: She's passed away... :(

I'm gonna copy and paste the post I put on FB last night, but if anyone could help, it would be great.

"Sick chicken! I have a Leghorn that is 3 years old. Today my daughter noticed she was pretty lethargic. I wasn't home, so I wasn't able to do anything for a few hours. So, now I'm home with her and she looks pretty bad. [​IMG] She doesn't appear sick. Her eyes are clear and her lungs sound clear. Her abdomen is soft and her breath smells normal. The only symptoms she has are lethargy and her comb is pretty warm. I was able to get some water down her with Sav-a-Chick in it. I'm not sure if she's gonna make it, but I'm also worried about the rest of my flock. Any help would be greatly appreciated!"

Update: She pulled through the night, and her comb isn't quite as warm. She's also holding her head up.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    When a chicken is sick----its like a kid----if you do not take it to the Doctor---you only guessing at what is wrong with it. We that have had chickens for a long time can not do nothing but guess too. Those guesses could be, is she egg bound> Is she wormy, Did she fall of the roost and is hurting internally? Does she have congestion? Does she have heart problems. Etc, Etc, Etc????

A lot want agree but for me if I have a sick chicken----I am not taking a $10 chicken for a $100 visit to the vet. I separate mine from the flock. While moving her I feel her for weight, listen to her for sounds, check her for swelling, check her for body temp, etc, etc. After doing that I have several things I can do----according to what I find. I keep Tylan50, vetrx and wormer close by. I also keep a heating pad and shyringes to give warm liquid/gravy from warm water/feed mixed it she is not eating and her body temp feels down. I have Saved/helped a lot of chickens and I have lost some. I have had them so close to death and have brought them back to make some Fine roosters/hens. I have never taken one to the vet except when I thought I had a disease several were dying and I had about 1000 more I was concerned about----so I carried some to the State vet for a necropsy. Lost 27 but got the tape Worm Problem under control. Check her out good and maybe post more details about your find. Good Luck

3. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    Thank you! She's not egg bound. I felt of her abdomen and it's not tight or hard. It feels empty. Her crop doesn't smell funky and her lung sound clear. She's just lethargic and pooping all over herself. I did notice some clear fluid coming out of her nose this morning, but her eyes are clear and she is more alert this morning. I'm not sure if she just has a small cold or if she's just getting old. But, yeah, she's not going to the vet. We don't have a poultry vet in our area, but that cost is too high for a chicken. That being said.....I do love my chickens, though. And I am worried it may be something that is contagious. She is and has been inside since yesterday. I will get some Tylan 50 today.

4. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Yes get and keep the tylan50(I rather use it than tylan200) close by. Some will say its better to inject----I have GREAT luck by drawing 1ml out the bottle and removing the needle and hold her head back and ease it in the back or the throat---holding her head back till she swallows it---usually a couple seconds. I do this usually once a day for 3 or 4 days. Do her food and water where you will know she is eating/drinking unless you are going to sit and watch all day----(Nope). I pour the feed in a container slowly so it looks like a volcano then if she eats you will know it. I have had them to not eat----then I would take a little of the chicken feed and some warm water----even a small aspirin dissolved----mix it good to where it was a gravy-----draw it out with a syringe and stick it to the corner of her mouth easing a little at a time. (Kinda like we do with some soup when we are sick) Good Luck!!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  5. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    Thanks! Yes, I've been using a syringe to give her water mixed with Sav-a-Chick. It has helped. I will mix up some feed with it, too. I have had to do that once before with another hen that was attacked, so I'm familiar with how to do it. I am planning on being home most of the day, so I will just periodically feed her myself. She is just beginning to hold her head up again, so I don't see her eating on her own again anytime soon.

6. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    She just passed away. I still have no idea what happened. All of the other hens look and act healthy. No worms present in the coop. It's weird. Maybe she was old? Thanks for all of your help, everyone!

7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Well, I am Sorry!!! We do loose them. If you feel up to it----you can learn some times by opening them us and see if you can see unusual things.

8. Jennn27

Mar 9, 2015
    Marshall, TX
    Thank you. No...I just took her body away. I'm just gonna keep a close eye on the rest of my flock. It didn't help that I was gone from home for a few days, but I am not planning on any more road trips for a long while, so I will be here to keep an eye on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by