1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. PetraMarco

PetraMarco New Egg

Mar 17, 2017
    Hi, I'm new to poultry and got a job where I hav over 20 hens, 2 ducks and couple geese. I hav problem with 1 hen for last 2 weeks. I hade 1 with similar symptoms about month ago and after putting her to quarantine we decided to put her down. This one i have in quarantine over 2 weeks, she is eating like mad. She look healthy except she completely lost balance. I did research on internet and found dozen possible diseases. Also vet looked at her but that time he excluded bacteria/virus infection. He gave me Atb, and she was on them for first week, another vet change atb 4 days ago. I feed her with boiled egg,yogurt,bit of poridge and adding some sea weed. She isnt progresing and she is not getting worse. She just cand stand up and lately just lying(either normally or on side). After posting her video on facebook i got couple replies thats saying its Marek's.. now I'm wondering how long can hen survive with marek. Is there any point to keep her alive or what else i can do...so far no more hens showing any symptoms of sicknes..

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Yeah it sounds like Mareks. I have heard of several chickens surviving, with physical therapy, but that is only in some cases.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1107842/mareks
    If one of your chickens does survive, it still will transmit the disease to other chickens, so if you plan on adding other chickens to your flock, they need to be vaccinated.
    Sorry I can't offer much hope.
    Good luck.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi[​IMG] Welcome To BYC

Where are you located?
    If you can post your video here we would be happy to look at it - you will need to post it to youtube then give us a link.

You mention the vet ruled out bacterial/virus infection so why the antibiotics (I'm assuming "Atb" is short for antibiotics).

The only way to know for sure what you are dealing with is to have a necropsy performed. There are so many diseases, disorders that can look similar.

Offer her some poultry vitamins that contains B vitamins, or crush a human B-Complex vitamin and add it to her feed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by