Sick hen

lostfan1

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
My hen has pretty much stopped eating and drinking. I was giving her water by dropper mixed with cider vinegar. Now she has stopped. The only thing I can get her to eat is watermelon. Green watery poops. The only reason I know that is it sticks to her fluff on her back end. I was thinking respiratory infection she looks like labored breathing and I can hear her breathing. No coughing, eyes look fine. Doesn't walk around much stays in coop till noonish then comes out. Doesn't walk around much pretty much stays in one spot once she gets to where she wants to be. I only have 2 chickens so she isn't picked on. Walks slowly. They pretty much don't lay anymore they are about 5 years old I think.

Any help would be great.

I think that is diarrhea, the best is to give her medicine that will treat both lung infections and diarrhea just in case, trim her bottom feathers so that no more poop will catch on them

My hen has pretty much stopped eating and drinking. I was giving her water by dropper mixed with cider vinegar. Now she has stopped. The only thing I can get her to eat is watermelon. Green watery poops. The only reason I know that is it sticks to her fluff on her back end. I was thinking respiratory infection she looks like labored breathing and I can hear her breathing. No coughing, eyes look fine. Doesn't walk around much stays in coop till noonish then comes out. Doesn't walk around much pretty much stays in one spot once she gets to where she wants to be. I only have 2 chickens so she isn't picked on. Walks slowly. They pretty much don't lay anymore they are about 5 years old I think.

Any help would be great.
Do you give her any medication?? If she were mine I would be giving her tylan50 1ml oral at least once a day, maybe twice to start for a few days. At 5, she is getting to be a senior---what color is her comb?

Her comb has always been light red, never a regular red like the others. Where do I find Tylan50?
As stated tractor supply. I draw it out with a needle on the syringe, pull the needle off---hold the head back---beak straight up and squeeze it in the back corner of her mouth----holding her head there for a second or two--till she swallows it. I would also get a small bag of 20% chick feed---dissolve a tablespoon or so of it in warm water---making a gravy, but not so thick that you can not get it in a bigger syringe---no needle. Squeeze some of that in the back corner of her mouth too. Good Luck!

Do you give her any medication?? If she were mine I would be giving her tylan50 1ml oral at least once a day, maybe twice to start for a few days. At 5, she is getting to be a senior---what color is her comb?
Her comb has always been light red, never a regular red like the others. Where do I find Tylan50?

As stated tractor supply. I draw it out with a needle on the syringe, pull the needle off---hold the head back---beak straight up and squeeze it in the back corner of her mouth----holding her head there for a second or two--till she swallows it. I would also get a small bag of 20% chick feed---dissolve a tablespoon or so of it in warm water---making a gravy, but not so thick that you can not get it in a bigger syringe---no needle. Squeeze some of that in the back corner of her mouth too. Good Luck!
Thank you so much! I just put them in and I've also noticed her back end clutching in and out. Like they do when they poop but doesn't. It's almost like she wants to but can't.

She may be dehydrated ...see if you can get some water in her.
Has see ever been wormed?

She may be dehydrated ...see if you can get some water in her.
Has see ever been wormed?
No she hasn't. I have two chickens (hens) now, I have always free range. I'm wondering if it's constipation? It's like she is uncomfortable walks slow when she finally gets where she is going she stays. I'm going to try tomorrow to soak her back end.

Back
Top Bottom