Sick hen !

Cailyn12

Songster
Apr 18, 2019
Honea Path , South Carolina
120DED10-C039-429C-8DD9-34F9D1328127.jpeg
2A128851-C6DF-429F-B9F3-EF85C84A72CE.jpeg
One of my barred Cochin hens hasn’t been acting herself now the past few days everyone else is perfectly fine , she is still laying eggs , her poop is runny as shown in pictures and her eyes are kind of just drowsy looking , need ideas on how to make her feel better! She is still acting like the other chickens doing their daily foraging , they are free range ,

How old is she, and is she eating and drinking? I would give her a thorough exam once she comes in to roost this evening. Feel her crop to see if it is empty and flat, full and puffy, or hard. Recheck it first thing in the morning when it should be empty. Cup your hand between her legs to feel if her lower belly feels enlarged or tight. See if she will eat some scrambled egg or wet chicken feed with a lot of water. If you have a vet that could check some droppings tomorrow for worms and coccidiosis, that would rule out those two problems. Check under vent and elsewhere for any lice or mites. Poultry NutriDrench can be given up to 2 ml daily as well for a boost.

How old is she, and is she eating and drinking? I would give her a thorough exam once she comes in to roost this evening. Feel her crop to see if it is empty and flat, full and puffy, or hard. Recheck it first thing in the morning when it should be empty. Cup your hand between her legs to feel if her lower belly feels enlarged or tight. See if she will eat some scrambled egg or wet chicken feed with a lot of water. If you have a vet that could check some droppings tomorrow for worms and coccidiosis, that would rule out those two problems. Check under vent and elsewhere for any lice or mites. Poultry NutriDrench can be given up to 2 ml daily as well for a boost.
She is 3 years old , I treat monthly for the lice & mites , and deworming I just hope maybe she will be okay ! And yes she is eating and drinking ! I will check that and see what it is like tonight !

Back
Top Bottom