Sick Hen

TheBantamRoo

Chirping
Mar 8, 2021
Hello, I have a Golden Sex-linked hen that I bought from tractor supply about two years ago. I noticed yesterday that she was acting lethargic and not wanting to eat anything other than grass. I gave her some water with electrolytes and she seemed to perk up a little. Her poop is a greenish color with lots of uric acid and it also looks kind of mucousy. Anyone have an idea what she has?

Hello, I have a Golden Sex-linked hen that I bought from tractor supply about two years ago. I noticed yesterday that she was acting lethargic and not wanting to eat anything other than grass. I gave her some water with electrolytes and she seemed to perk up a little. Her poop is a greenish color with lots of uric acid and it also looks kind of mucousy. Anyone have an idea what she has?
I think it might be egg yolk peritonitis. Could it be anything else and if it is EYP, what should I do??

How does her crop feel? Is it empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy? Has she laid eggs recently? Can you offer some wet chicken feed and a little scrambled eggs? After the age of 2, reproductive disorders or cancer can be common. Crops disorders or worms could also be a problem. Have you wormed lately? I would use Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer if not. I can give dosages.

How does her crop feel? Is it empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy? Has she laid eggs recently? Can you offer some wet chicken feed and a little scrambled eggs? After the age of 2, reproductive disorders or cancer can be common. Crops disorders or worms could also be a problem. Have you wormed lately? I would use Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer if not. I can give dosages.
Her crop feels normal but empty. She hasn’t laid eggs since she stopped due to molt which was 2-3 months ago. I gave her a little Diatomaceous Earth just in case of worms. She just pooped while ago and it was like yellow mucus with green flecks in it. She is supposed to go to the vet tomorrow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom